Wednesday, August 30, 2017

1 TIMOTY 6:11 - PURSUE LOVE

1 TIMOTHY 6:11
PURSUE LOVE

But thou, O man of God, flee these things;
 and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith,
love, patience, meekness.

The man of God, Timothy, needed to run from false teaching and the sin that accompanied it and follow after, pursue the things in keeping with the word of God. One thing he was to run after was love. Not erotic, emotional love or even that of strong friendship, but unconditional, Christ-like love. In order to do this, he must stay in the word of God, not just to read it but to live it out, to walk in it. Believers walk in the word by every decision that is in keeping with the scripture. To walk in this “agape” love begins with a fervent love for the Lord which then extends to the love of others (Matthew 22:37-39). We do not sit around waiting for an opportunity to show God’s love. We must track down and chase after opportunities to love.

I have a pastor/mentor/father-in-the-faith who consistently pursues love. My former pastor, Doug, loves the Lord Jesus and proclaims His gospel faithfully. He has shown me love during many crisis times in my life. He has tracked me down like a hunter at various hospitals to pray with me and show me the love of God. Knowing that he was behind my pursuit of God and, therefore, being ordained encouraged me greatly. He even said that signing my ordination papers was one of the greatest pleasures of his life. He loved me at that pinnacle of my life to that point and he has loved me when I have been cut down (literally!). God has used Doug’s faithful, Christlike love to hold me up in times of trial.

Do you have a Doug in your life? Thank the Lord for that person and lift them up in prayer. Are you steadfast in your love for a brother or sister in the Lord? Is there someone the Lord is nudging you to pursue in order to show them His love? 

No comments: