Wednesday, March 15, 2017

COLOSSIANS 3:15-16 - DWELL IN THE WORD

May your peace, Lord, reign in me. 
Let your word inhabit my mind.
Allow me to teach with wisdom, 
so that others in your word will find
the peace that they have craved, Lord. 
Then with a full heart they may sing.
May gratitude flow from our hearts, Lord, 
as an offering of worship we bring.

 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,
since as members of one body you were called to peace. 
And be thankful.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly 
as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, 
and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs 
with gratitude in your hearts to God.”
Colossians 3:15-16 (NIV)

brabĕuō1018 -  to arbitrate, i.e. (gen.) to govern (fig. prevail): - rule.

ĕnŏikĕō1774 – to inhabit (fig.): - dwell in

            Paul admonishes us “…as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone” (Romans 12:18). That can only be done as we allow Christ to reign on the throne of our hearts. His peace comes as we spend time with him daily through prayer, reading his word, and worshipping him. Then he will enable us to be at peace with one another.
            God’s word should inhabit us. Listening to the Sunday school lesson and sermon each week is a good beginning; but in order to have the word of Christ inhabit us, we must read it and meditate on it daily. You may feel that you don’t have time to sit down and read God’s word each day. For about $70 dollars (the cost of 2 trips to Six Flags, 7 dinners out, or a pair of good running shoes), you can own the entire Bible on CD. I enjoy listening to God’s word as I travel to and from work each day or as I’m running errands. I play the chapter I’m currently studying over and over until I begin to internalize the concepts and even memorize some of the key verses. On weekends or evenings when I have some time, I still enjoy getting out The Comparative Study Bible and reading a few verses in King James, New American Standard, New International Version, and Amplified all side by side.
            The real turning point in my life, other than my actual acceptance of Jesus as Savior and Lord, was when I was discipled by a godly couple who served as our Sunday school teachers for young singles. They taught me the importance of memorizing Scripture and hiding it deep within my heart. The verses I learned while I had the accountability of Keith or Kathy asking me to recite them, have been brought back to me by the Holy Spirit many times to meet a particular need in my life. One of the ways I keep my memorized Bible verses fresh is to recite them in my mind while I exercise. When I swim, I count the laps by verses containing that lap number (Genesis 1:1, Galatians 2:20, John 3:16, etc.). I challenge myself to use a different verse for each lap and to incorporate newly memorized verses as well.
            When I taught at Glenview Christian School, the music teacher and I set almost all of the second-grade memory verses to music. I still run into students, now in college, who tell me they sing those songs with children in their churches and plan to teach them to their own children. Hymns and songs based strongly on Scripture, even if not word for word, are a powerful way to remember God’s promises and express thanksgiving to God. Sing them with a heart full of gratitude to the Lord who wrote his love letter to you.

            Father, I thank you for the people who taught and admonished me with wisdom to meditate on your word. Help me to remember the verses I have learned and to never tire of knowing more of you. Help me to pass on this gift of knowing you through your word to those you have entrusted to me.

No comments: