Monday, June 19, 2017

Psalm 95:1-2 - ROCK CONCERT


Day 22 -  ROCK CONCERT

Psalm 95:1–2

O come, let us sing unto the Lord:
let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving,
and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.

            God, who is the Rock, provided water from the Rock.  Numbers 20:8 (NIV) states, “Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together.  Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.”  According to 1 Corinthians 10:3-4 (NIV), Jesus was the Rock that poured out the water, “They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.”  Jesus, being the Rock, is the provision and is the River of Life.  John 7:38 (NIV) says, “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”   The living water is the Holy Spirit flowing through the life of the believer and bearing witness to the world.  The Rock, in scripture, is also a symbol of safety and security.  The high rocks of the holy land served as natural fortresses. Jesus is our stronghold, and we rest safely in His care.

            Since I was unconscious or semi-conscious during the following episode, allow my roommate, Susie, to tell about leaning on the Rock:

Susan had come through her amputation surgery well and was getting settled in a regular hospital room for the night.  I had not really eaten since noon, and it was now nearing midnight.  So, while the respiratory therapist was trying to get her oxygen adjusted, I ran down to the cafeteria.  I came back to the room, ate two bites of my pizza, and realized Susan’s oxygen saturation was too low according to the monitor.  The respiratory therapist and the nurse came in to try to replace the nasal cannula with a face mask.  I kept telling Susan to breathe.  Suddenly the nurse hit a button on the wall and called “Code Blue.”  Susan had ceased breathing at all.  I exclaimed, “Susan, I am not leaving you! I will be in the hallway.”  She says she was aware of that even as they were sitting astraddle her and “bagging” her.  I sank against the wall in the hallway for fear I would fall, but as I began saying the Lord’s prayer (couldn’t formulate a prayer of my own), I realized it was not the wall I was leaning on but the Rock, our Lord Jesus Christ.
           
Let us sing and shout joyfully to the Rock.  Let’s hold a “Rock” concert. 

No comments: