Monday, October 30, 2017

ROMANS 2:28-29 - A CIRCUMCISED HEART by Susie Hale

A Circumcised Heart

I cannot follow my moral compass.
I cannot rely on religion or creeds,
Being born of a certain nation or race,
Or submitting to ritualistic deeds.
It is impossible to obey God’s law completely,
Never committing sin nor omitting good.
In my flesh, by my will, I cannot attain
To all of the rules I know that I should.
Only a circumcised heart can change me,
Only a spirit made new by the Lord.
Giving my life completely to Jesus
Is what will enable me to obey His word.
His blood has covered my many failures.
He gave His life to pay for my sins.
Accepting His precious gift of forgiveness
Frees me to live a life pleasing to Him.


“A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly,
nor is circumcision merely outward and physical.
No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly;
and circumcision is circumcision of the heart,
by the Spirit, not by the written code.
Such a man’s praise is not from men, but from God.”
Romans 2:28-29

circumcision – pĕritōmē – the rite, the condition, or the people. From pĕritĕmnō – to cut around, i.e. to circumcise. (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible)

            In order to live a life pleasing to God I had to undergo heart surgery. God had to cut around my heart to remove the hardness, to extract my heart of stone in order to give me a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 11:25). He did this by drawing me to himself and giving me the faith in Christ needed to save me.  When I surrendered my life to the control of the Lord, his Holy Spirit moved into the renewed heart he had created. As I daily allow the Spirit control of my life, I am able to accomplish the tasks God lays on my heart. True service is not willing myself to obey certain rules and regulations. It is, rather, a complete surrender of my will to God. It is a moment by moment choice to seek God’s best in every decision, every action, every breath of my life. As I choose to know more of the Lord through his Word, worship, and prayer, I am more aware of the ways he desires to work in and through me. As I learn to pray without ceasing (I Thessalonians 5:17), bringing everything to him, and as I seek first the Kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33), then the good works for which he created me will follow.
            Father, keep my heart soft and pliable for your use. Cut away any hardness that would keep me from you.


No comments: