Wednesday, September 5, 2018

PSALM 119:171 PRAISE HIM!


Praise Him
June 1984
by Karen Sue Hale  ©1985

It’s something that I learned a long, long time ago.
Yet it’s something I keep learning new each day…
That no matter what the circumstances,
No matter come what may,
I just need to praise His name.

It’s easy, Lord, to praise you when I’m happy,
And it’s easy, Lord, to praise on sunny days.
But when my world is upside down
and everything looks gray,
Still I need to praise your name.


     After delineating the power and purpose of God’s word, the psalmist wraps up with a cry for understanding, a desire to live a life of praise, and a prayer for deliverance. 
Allowing the Holy Spirit to illumine God’s word as we read leads to an increased longing to know more of the Lord.  The more I know of him, the more I want to know.  It’s like being in love.  It IS being in love with perfect Love (I John 4:8 “God is love.”)  The Bible is God’s love letter to each of us. We need to delight in it, sing about it, and choose it above all other literature.  We need to ask the Lord to help us understand his word.
       When I’m in love, I can talk of almost nothing else but the person I want to be with.  Ask my friends, and they’ll tell you I can be absolutely obnoxious when I’m infatuated with someone.  If I’m truly in love with the Lord, my lips should “overflow with praise.”  I should be telling everyone all the wonderful things the Lord of love has done for me and listing all his amazing attributes for all who would listen.  My life should be lived in order to bring praise and glory to my Savior.
       Because the Lord has helped me understand his word, I can have confidence that he will deliver me and sustain me.  When I strayed like a lost sheep, he sought me and brought me back to the fold. Praise the Lord! 


No comments: