Friday, May 27, 2016

WOULD I?


Would I?
By Susie Hale

What would I do if all my friends forsook me?
Would I forgive them and love them just the same?
And if one of my best friends then denied me,
Would I love him and take on me his blame?
If the soldiers spit on me and mocked me
Then beat me and struck me in the face,
Would I suffer, knowing I could stop it?
Would I take the pain to save the human race?
If they made me drag my cross to Calvary;
And I stumbled and fell along the way
Would I keep silent and not ask intervention
Or complain that it’s too high a price to pay?
Would I lie down and let them drive the nails in?
Would I stay there though my flesh began to tear?
Would I endure the untold mental anguish
As the sin of all the world I had to bear?
For the friends who denied they ever knew me,
For the sinners who had not yet be born,
Would I go through death and hell on Calvary?
Would I volunteer to wear a crown of thorns?
I wouldn’t do it for all the earthly riches.
I couldn’t do it; I don’t have that kind of love.
But I’m thankful that Jesus Christ went through it.
I’m so glad the Father sent Him from above.
For Jesus has that kind of mercy,
And Jesus has that kind of grace
That though His own men did forsake Him,
He would suffer and die in their place.

No comments: