Monday, November 28, 2016

RIGHT RELATIONSHIP RESULTS IN RIGHTEOUSNESS


Right Relationship Results in Righteousness
Susie Hale, July 9, 1989

We do not become sinners when we commit sin;
We all commit sins because as sinners we begin.

We are not righteous by doing righteous acts;
We do righteous deeds because our righteousness in Christ is fact.

We do not become holy by doing holy things;
We do that which is holy because of holiness He brings.

We are not sanctified by living godly lives;
We are capable of godliness as the Spirit sanctifies.

grace – charis – the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life: including gratitude: acceptable, benefit, favor, gift, gracious, joy, liberality, pleasure, thankworthy. (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible)

            Many of us can quote John 15:5, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” Do we believe it? Do we live like we believe it? I’ve spent a lot of time trying to be good enough, feeling compelled to do the “right” things, working like crazy to meet the expectations of others and myself. I’ve realized in recent years that trying to squeeze good works from myself and playing the martyr are not how God desires me to live.
            Just as I am saved by grace, I must also live by grace. Salvation is due to God’s drawing my heart and my accepting his gift by faith. His life is then reflected in my life. That is the benefit of walking with him. Righteousness does not come from straining and striving to be like Jesus. Righteousness occurs in my life as I spend more time with Christ, in his Word and prayer. Then his grace, his “divine influence upon the heart,” is liberally, joyfully, graciously reflected in the peace that I have and the deeds that I do. Pursuing my relationship with the Righteous One results in righteousness. I am only able to do his works when I take time to be his child.

            Father, may my life be a reflection of your influence on my heart. May I be known not for my efforts in my own strength but for the evidence of your grace to me. May you be glorified as others see Jesus in me. 

No comments: