Friday, December 15, 2017

A Single SOCK

A Single SOCK

By Karen Sue Hale


            That single sock left over when all the clothes are folded and put in the proper drawers has been a problem for anyone who has done laundry more than twice.  Its mate may have fallen behind the washer or dryer where it will stay until I move again.  Perhaps the appliances were hungry and ate it.  I’ve entertained thoughts that there might be a mysterious, one-footed, sock-swiping monster.  What do you do with that sock that no longer has a mate?  Personally, I’m not rich enough to just toss it out, so I find uses for the “one-socks” as I call them.
When I need a dust cloth, I can always grab an orphaned sock.  It does a nice job as a polish cloth for copper or silver.  With a few additional scraps of material, it can become a puppet.  Several coins can be put in the toe and the top tied shut to keep them from getting lost.  Use your imagination, and that single sock has many uses.
            Sometimes as a divorced single I feel like a lone sock and, therefore, label myself “useless.”  I have never-married friends who feel society expects them to become part of a couple someday, so they feel like a purple and green argyle sock waiting for another to show up.  Life seems to be on hold.
Recently I have made an encouraging realization.  To me the prettiest socks are sold individually, come in a variety of sizes, and can be plain or fancy.  They all are intended to be vessels of blessing for their owners.  They are Christmas stockings and are perfectly content to be one of a kind.  We fill them with delightful things, and children’s faces shine with joy.
            God wants me to be his SOCK: a Slave Of Christ the King.  I do not need a mate in order to serve him, but I must be willing to be filled with not just good things but the best, the Holy Spirit.  Just as a sock is limp and lifeless until you put your foot in it, the Bible tells me that I can do nothing apart from Christ living in me (John 15:5).  Just as Christ called individuals, I can serve him as a single.  I need only to empty myself and allow his Spirit free reign inside this SOCK.
            Even Christmas stockings become worn with use.  I have one saved from my childhood days that has been overstuffed so many times the decorations are tattered, and the seams are unraveling.  As a SOCK, I may become worn with use.  It is then that I am urged not to become “weary of well-doing” (Gal. 6:9).  Also, if the wearer injures his foot, his sock may become torn or stained with blood.  As a SOCK, I have been told I will be identified with the Master (Mat. 10:25, John 15:20) and suffer with Him.  When I stand before the Lord at the Judgment, I long to hear him say, “Well done, you good and faithful servant” (Mat. 25:21, 23).  Then as one who has become torn and stained in serving him, Jesus will wash me, and I will be a clean, white SOCK in Heaven (Rev. 3:5, I John 1:9).
            This brief article does not exhaust the subject of being a SOCK.  I hope to continue to learn about being Christ’s slave by becoming a “living sacrifice unto God” (Rom. 12:1) and allowing God to “renew my mind” (Rom. 12:2) through his Word.  I will daily follow the advice Eli gave to Samuel and pray, “Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening” (I Sam. 3:9).  For, in this way, I can learn what it truly means to be a SOCK. 


            The next time you do laundry, hang a Christmas stocking, or rearrange your sock drawer, remember that you can be a SOCK, a Slave of Christ the King.  You are not a useless one-sock.  You were specially created to hold delightful treasures.  Allow God to fill you with the Holy Spirit so your Owner may use you to bless those who come into contact with one of his single SOCKs.


No comments: