Monday, July 9, 2018

LUKE 12:15 RENOUNCE OBESESSION OVER POSSESSIONS



RENOUNCE OBSESSION OVER POSSESSIONS

Speaking to the people, Jesus continued,
“Be alert and guard your heart from greed
and always wishing for what you don’t have. For your life can never be measured
by the amount of things you possess.”
Luke 12:15 (The Passion Translation)

And He said to them, Guard yourselves
and keep free from all covetousness
(the immoderate desire for wealth,
the greedy longing to have more);
for a man’s life does not consist in
and is not derived from
possessing overflowing abundance
or that which is over and above his needs.
Luke 12:15 (Amplified Classic)

The wealthiest people I have known would not appear to be rich to the casual observer. They lived in nice but modest homes, drove new but not outlandish cars, and even shopped at the same stores I did. These people were not defined by their riches, but they were defined by their generosity toward others. Commercials on TV, billboards, and ads in magazines try to tell us that we must have the latest gadget, the grandest car, and a home worthy of the cover of a magazine. They present these things as needs when they are clearly wants. We all want to improve our lot in life, and there is nothing wrong with working to better our situation. However, obsession over possessions leads to greed and many times to dishonest gain. The most admired people in my life are content with what they have whether they are rich or poor. They are thankful God supplies their needs (food, clothing, shelter) and rejoice in sharing with those less fortunate. Do I want to be known for having the most and best toys, or do I want to be known for having an intimate relationship with my Lord that overflows into caring for others? Lord, may I learn to be content in all circumstances. May I follow the example of the Apostle Paul:

I am not saying this because I am in need. I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances. I know how to survive in tight situations, and I know how to enjoy having plenty. In fact, I have learned how to face any circumstances: fed or hungry, with or without.
Philippians 4:11-12 (VOICE)

No comments: