Wednesday, July 11, 2018

PSALM 119:111-112 LET ME NOT BE THE SAME



Let Me Not Be the Same

(Susie’s prayer upon returning
from Russia – 1997)

Lord, I pray that You’ll not let me 
take for granted the freedom I have 
to worship You,
To gather together with others
simply to praise Your name.
Lord, let me not be the same.
Let me be forever changed.

Help me to stand. Help me be bold.
Help me to make sure the message is told.
Help me to kneel. Help me to pray.
Help me to know the right words to say,
just what to say.
Help me live for You each day.

Lord, I pray for friends I made
in that land so far away.
Guard their freedom, Lord,
To gather together with others
simply to praise Your name,
To show that they’ll not be the same,
that they are forever changed.

Help them to stand. Help them be bold.
Help them to make sure the message is told.
Help them to kneel. Help them to pray.
Help them to know the right words to say,
just what to say.
Help them live for You each day.
Help us live for You, I pray.


       My friend Beverly told me I should pray about going with a group my pastor was taking to minister in Russia.  I told her there was no way I could afford to go, but that I would pray about it.  I prayed, “Lord, if you want me to go to Russia, make it obvious to me. Maybe you could drop the $2,500 in my lap.”  Just a few weeks later, my friend Brenda invited me to have dinner with her fiancé, his mother, and another friend of ours.  After we all gathered at her home, she announced that she no longer felt that she should go on the Russia trip since she and Chuck were getting married only a month before.  She said she had been praying about what to do with the money she had set aside for that purpose; and she believed God said, “Send Susie.” As you can clearly see, I had no choice but to obey God and go to Russia.
       In Russia I met people who had followed Christ even when the wicked set a snare for them.  I found people who were willing to take their lives in their hands to continue to lead others to the Lord.  I discovered people who truly understood that God’s word is a heritage to be treasured and enjoyed.  I saw children eagerly stand in line to get a Bible. 
       I went to Russia to share the gospel with children and teenagers and to minister to the Russian people.  Because of their ministry to me, I came away from Russia more determined than ever to set my heart on “keeping your decrees to the very end.”  May I never take God’s word for granted again!

No comments: