Wednesday, July 4, 2018

PSALM 119:103 CHEW ON THIS


Chew on This


      Meditating on God’s word is like eating a Bit-o-Honey®. You don’t swallow a Bit-o-Honey® whole, nor do you suck on it. If you just suck on one, you don’t get near as much flavor as you do from chewing it.  I like to chew it slowly and make it last as long as possible. And because it sticks to my mouth and teeth, I can taste Bit-o-Honey® long after the candy is swallowed.
      When I meditate on scripture, I chew on it.  I think about all the implications of what I’ve read.  I ponder what that passage means to me personally.  I pray about how to apply it in my life and how to share what I’ve learned with others.  I may pray that scripture on behalf of a loved one, putting his or her name in place of the pronouns or pray it for myself.  I consider the ramifications of obedience or disobedience to the commands found therein.  I link the passage I’ve just read with other similar passages that God brings to mind and fit it into the “whole counsel of God.”  I savor the promises I may have found.  I pray that the things I’ve learned will stick in my mind allowing me to enjoy the sweetness of God’s word again and again.
     If you desire wisdom and understanding, meditate on God’s word.  Pray for the Lord to teach you.  Slow down, take time, and think about what you have read.  Continue to think about it throughout the day.  Talk about it with another Christian.  Use a journal to record your thoughts and come back to them from time to time.  Memorize key verses that have meaning for you so you can continue to meditate on them. 
Meditate in the car, on the treadmill, or in the shower.  Plan a “date” with God when you can take your Bible with you to a park or some other quiet place and spend time talking to God (praying) and listening to God (reading his word and being still).  Take a break from the busy pace of life and invest some time in learning how to really live.  The return on that investment will be wisdom, insight, and understanding.  As the Psalm says, God’s word is “sweeter than honey to my mouth.”  Try chewing on a bit of that honey today!

Wisdom, insight, and understanding 

are the results gained from meditation. 

God's word leads us to the right path; 

His commands demand implementation.

No comments: