Monday, August 27, 2018

LUKE 14:13-14 SEE THROUGH JESUS'S EYES


SEE THROUGH JESUS’S EYES
 by Susan R. Slade

Depending on how you look at it, I qualify for this guest list on at least 3 of the four items. By myself, I would be just below the federal poverty level. I’ve had both legs amputated above the knee and am extremely challenged by cerebral palsy with limited use of one hand. I am also legally blind! Before everyone lines up to play the violin, just invite me to dinner (LOL)! All kidding aside, Jesus is describing those people who are often set aside or ignored at best, and sometimes even ridiculed. When I was about seven or eight years old, a woman came up to Nana and me in the mall and declared, “Why do bring her out, so that people have to look at something like that!” I know now that the lady’s words were due to ignorance and arrogance, but at the time all they were was painful. She may have assumed that I was unable to understand her, but I understood the hatred and rejection of every word! This is only one of a multitude of encounters like it, but Jesus’s love for me and my devotion to Him has helped me to overcome and rise above the prejudices of fallen humanity, remembering that I am treasured by God. Unfortunately, many of the kind of people Jesus described are still met with similar attitudes. Examine your own response to the people with these challenges you cross paths with each day. Are you viewing them with human eyes or through the eyes of the One who died on the cross to save them as well as you?

1 Samuel 16:7b for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

No comments: