Tuesday, February 23, 2016

EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW

Before Christ may I bow
And submit to his will.
May I take time each day
To be quiet and still
And to know he is God
And Lord over all.
May I rise from my prayer
to obey the Lord’s call.

“Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
Philippians 2:9-11 (NIV)

hupĕrupsŏō5251 – to elevate above others, i.e. raise to the highest position: - highly exalt.

kuriŏs2962 – supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by impl. Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir.

            After Christ had completely humbled himself and become obedient to the Father by substituting his life for ours on the cross, he was returned to the highest place at the right hand of God.  Someday every creature will have to acknowledge that Jesus is the supreme authority, the Lord. 
We have the opportunity to do that now and humbly obey him by living lives of service here on earth. Our Christ-like humility will be rewarded. I remember singing this verse as a young person – “Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up” (James 4:10). I later learned that the opposite is also true; for Jesus said, “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted,” (Matthew 23:12).
Humility is not bad-mouthing yourself or downplaying accomplishments. It is giving God the glory for the abilities and opportunities He as given you. It is obedience to do the tasks the Lord has called you to do whether you receive any praise from your fellow men or not. Humbling yourself is saying “yes” to God no matter what He asks of you. It is acknowledging Jesus as Lord with your actions as well as your words.
 Bowing the knee can be the position of the knight before his King, or the conquered before his foe. I prefer to be the first. If I choose to serve Jesus now, I bow to his command and become more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37). If one does not acknowledge Jesus as Lord now, he or she will be the defeated one forced to bow before the Conqueror when Christ returns to judge the world.

Father, I thank you for the opportunity to know you and to serve you now. Thank you for the Spirit’s call to me and giving me the faith to believe. I pray for those loved ones who have not yet bowed to you that you would draw them through your Holy Spirit. Lord, show me how to tell others about the importance of surrendering to you.

No comments: