Monday, February 29, 2016

RUBBISH

Picture every worthy act,
each goal you’ve met, each righteous deed
lying on a rubbish heap.
God lights a match to burn that trash,
and as the flames leap high and dance,
there emerges one thing you should keep.
Refined by fire as purest gold
the holiness God designed you to hold
is the gift your loss allows you to reap.

“…I consider everything a loss
compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,
for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ…”
Philippians 3:7-8

zēmia2209 – prob. akin to the base of 1150 (through the idea of violence); detriment: damage, loss.

skubalŏn4657 – neut. of a presumed der. of 1519 and 2965 and 906; what is thrown to the dogs, i.e. refuse (ordure): - dung.

            Paul had quite a pedigree. He was taught the law and observed it from his childhood. When examined by the most legalistic people of his day, he would be declared faultless. This reputation is what he considers refuse. Any accomplishment in his own strength is something to be thrown to the dogs. The only thing of value is knowing Christ intimately.
            We all have accomplishments which may lead us to pride. I have the IQ and abilities to qualify me for “gifted” programs in elementary school and honors classes in high school.  My bachelor’s degree work was sufficient to earn the College Honor Award of Sigma Alpha Iota, a music honor society, meaning that I had the highest GPA of my graduating class of fraternity sisters.  I was also inducted into Alpha Chi, a college honor society.  On the GRE my lowest score (language) was in the upper 600’s and my highest (logic problems) was over 750 out of a possible of 800 points.  The entrance requirement for my graduate program was 750 on the language and math portions together.  I had almost that on the math portion alone.  I completed my Master of Education degree with only one B, and the committee who reviewed my professional paper urged me to complete a doctorate in the future. RUBBISH!
            Those accomplishments are evidence of abilities given to me by the Lord, but those strengths are not what carry me through each day of life. When trials come, I turn not to my intellect but to my knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ through his word. The older I get the more I realize that the most important goal of life is to know Jesus intimately. Everything else must be secondary to my relationship with him. I am thankful that he provided the Bible to enable me to know him more each day.  He also gave me his Holy Spirit to make the word clear to me and reveal exactly what I need for each season of life. It’s exciting the way each time I study a passage it seems to have a fresh meaning to me.

            Father, help me to remember that my own accomplishments, my own good deeds are nothing of value. Help me to glory in what Jesus has done for me and rely on his righteousness working in and through me. Help me to understand your word and know Christ more intimately. Allow your Spirit’s work to evident in my life daily. 

No comments: