Friday, February 26, 2016

POURED OUT



May my life be poured out in service to the Lord,
in encouraging others to study God’s word.
May I invest time in people rather than things
in sharing the Savior who makes my heart sing.

“Even if [my lifeblood] must be poured out as a libation on the sacrificial offering of your faith [to God], still I am glad [to do it] and congratulate you all on [your share in] it: And you also in like manner be glad and congratulate me on [my share in] it.”
Philippians 2:17-18 (Amplified Version)

spĕndō4689 – to pour out as a libation, i.e. (fig.) to devote (one’s life or blood, as a sacrifice) (“spend”): - (be ready to) be offered.

thusia2378 – sacrifice, (the act or the victim, lit. or fig.): - sacrifice.

            “He poured himself into….” Complete the sentence. It is descriptive of giving one’s all in pursuit of a goal or a pleasure. How would you fill in that blank to describe yourself?
            The apostle Paul poured himself into bringing people closer to God. He was willing and ultimately did pour out his life’s blood to further the spread of the gospel. He continued to minister even while in prison, whether well provided for or barely surviving. He viewed himself as the drink offering poured over the burnt offering which was the faith of the Philippians. Moreover, he was glad to be pouring his life into the Philippians and the many other churches he had a part in establishing.
            Has someone poured his or her life into yours by leading you to know Jesus or by discipling you? The best way you can thank that person it to give of yourself to a brother or sister as well. The mantra of evangelism is “each one, reach one.”  In discipleship it is “each one, teach one.”  I was blessed to participate in a small discipleship group when I was in my twenties. As we would complete a Bible study booklet, our leaders would encourage us to find two people we could lead through that step in the program. Then he would take us to the next level. As we moved to level three, we were to teach level two to our two friends and encourage them each to find two friends to begin level one. My desire to memorize God’s word comes from that experience. I believe a solid foundation of Bible study was laid in my life through the pouring out of Keith and Kathy. The strong Bible study basics they entrusted to me helped me to lead many elementary students closer to Christ during my teaching career. The book you are reading is a result of their faithfulness to teach others what the Lord had taught them. I believe I honor their sacrifice each time I write and share that writing with other believers.

            Father, show me how to wisely invest my life in others. Help me to use the gifts you have bestowed upon me to lead people into a right relationship with Christ and then to help them grow in you. Help me to honor the sacrifice that others have made to bring me to where I am spiritually by helping others to “know You and make You known”.

No comments: