Wednesday, February 14, 2018

JEREMIAH 31:3b - MY ROMANCE


My Romance
By Karen Sue Hale (Susie)

Susie - I have a loving husband, who is always there for me and loves me unconditionally.  He is exciting and adventurous, but tender hearted as well. He has taken me places I never dreamed I would go…England, Holland, Belgium, France, Wales, and Russia!  Every day with him is truly sweeter than the day before.

Jesus – I am with Susie always, even to the end of the world. (Matthew 28:20b)

How We Met

Susie - I first began to notice him when I was a small child.  On his birthday my parents would give me a huge orange, the largest apple of the year, and an assortment of nuts and candy. I’m sure they were praying even then that I would someday give my heart to him. My sisters became close to him, but I was still young; and when they asked me if I wanted to do the same thing, I replied, “No, you have to talk to the preacher to get close to him!”  I was afraid of our 300-pound preacher!

Jesus – I created Susie’s inmost being; I knit her together in her mother’s womb…She is fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:13-14a)

How He Courted Me

Susie - But my Love began wooing me, usually through his love songs.  I remember at a Church of the Nazarene summer camp, he sang sweetly to me through the lyrics “Amazing love, how can it be that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?”  I thought I knew him because he was a close friend of the family and we went to his house every week. As a fifth grader, I didn’t quite understand that I needed to know him one on one, just the two of us.

Jesus – I take great delight in Susie, I will quiet her with my love, I will rejoice over her with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17b)

Susie - All this time I was active in church.  In fact I grew to be a leader in my youth group and was considered a “really good girl”.  At camp, the summer after my freshman year in high school, we listened to a musical called “Real”.  The opening lines of the first song were, “Empty eyes stare from empty sockets, frozen lips form frozen words. Masks that hide faceless people, acting roles with lines unheard. Row on row we march in order, mouthing hymns and reading prayers…”  I realized the song was about me.  I played church well, and knew a lot about Jesus, but I didn’t really know Jesus.

Jesus -  My Father was drawing Susie to me. (John 6:44)

How He Proposed

Susie - He continued to draw me to him that summer through the testimony of friends and a hellfire- and-brimstone preacher during a revival. But it was finally his quiet, loving, insistent voice in my mind that caused me to ask my youth minister, Ray, to introduce us formally and help me to be sure that I would be his and he would be mine forever. Jesus proposed to me by having Ray read through the scriptures of the “Roman Road to Salvation.” That night Christ became my first love, and later in the service, Ray and I sang a duet of one of Christ’s love songs, “The Savior is Waiting.” I did not know the full meaning of the church being the bride of Christ or the fact the he is a “husband to the husbandless,” but I began learning.

Our Covenant Relationship

Susie:  I loved Jesus and served him actively during my youth.  Then I met and married Steve, not as quickly as that makes it sound. We were engaged five and a half years. During our engagement the church we attended suffered a split; and as people who are not as grounded in the Word as they need to be often do, we drifted out of fellowship with other believers.  Five days before our first wedding anniversary, Steve left me.  I was 23 years old and devastated.
That night I had an intense discussion with Jesus.  Honestly, I yelled, “I did it all your way.  I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs.  I’m modest and moral. I married a man that went to church with me. I was a virgin bride! So where are you?”  He answered quietly and lovingly just like on the night he proposed, “I’ve always been here.  It’s you who have been ignoring me, but I still love you.”
On the Sunday that should have been my first wedding anniversary, I went to church for the first time in a long time.  Jesus arranged to have the pastor preach on reconciliation, and I went forward to reconcile with my first love. A loving singles group and Sunday school teacher began to teach me that daily, quiet, and time went together to form a phrase.  Over the next several years I became more and more intimate with Jesus through daily reading his word, through listening to godly teachers, through prayer, and as always through worshipping him in song.
It was a number of years before I could express the love Jesus showed me during our reconciliation.  My feelings finally emerged as a love song called, “I Am His Treasure” which begins:

When I felt rejected, abandoned, and unloved,
I felt like someone’s garbage on the curb out by the street.
Then Jesus picked me up, held me in his arms,
And whispered that he’d always treasure me.

Susie - My relationship with my first love has not always been easy.  He has led me into difficult circumstances many times, and I often want to question his motives. However, I must admit he never leaves my side during those hard times.

Jesus – I cover Susie with my feathers, and under my wings she finds refuge; my faithfulness will be her shield and rampart. (Psalm 91:4)

Susie - I’ve had many times that I longed for God to send me a human husband, but I have learned to be content with singleness and deepening my relationship with Christ. During one of those seasons that I was struggling with my singleness and childlessness, I was asked to lead worship at a singles’ retreat.  The theme of the weekend was Complete in Christ.  While preparing, I cried out to the Lord, “Jesus, how can I possibly lead worship on this theme when I am feeling so desperate for human affection right now? I don’t know how you’re going to do it, but somehow you’re going to show me how you are better than a husband.”
Immediately, I picked up my guitar and wrote Faithful.  The words and music just flowed together incredibly easily, and I knew it was my true love answering my plea for help.

You are faithful,
every moment of every hour 
of every single day.
You are near me, right beside me,
 never leaving; You will never stray.

For Your love is perfect.
Your love is true.
No one else could ever love me
the way that You do!

So I will trust You, true submission, 
complete surrender, I give to You my all.
Lead me; guide me. 
Show me how I best can serve You. 
I’m listening for Your call.

For Your love is perfect.
Your love is true.
No one else could ever love me
the way that You do!

Susie - “Your love, O LORD , reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.” (Psalm 36:5) I will “sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.” (Psalm 33:3-5)

Susie – I look forward to spending eternity with my True Love because he loves me with an everlasting love. I am so thankful that he courted me and that once I gave my heart to him, he has never let me go.

Jesus – Susie listened to my voice and followed me. I give her eternal life, and she will never perish; no one can snatch her out of my hand. (John 10:27-28)


No comments: