Monday, February 19, 2018

Luke 6:22–23 AN OVERCOMER’S JOY


Day 34 – AN OVERCOMER’S JOY

an excerpt from A Life's Symphony of Joy
by Susan R. Slade

Luke 6:22–23

Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you,
and when they shall separate you 
from their company,
and shall reproach you, 
and cast out your name as evil,
for the Son of man's sake.
Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy:
for, behold, your reward is great in heaven:
for in the like manner did their fathers 
unto the prophets.

During my senior year at Bob Hope High School, I had a firm conviction that I was to attend Oral Roberts University.  Some students and faculty members did not know quite how to take this news.  I would not be discouraged or dissuaded by their negative responses.  Students would laugh and make fun of ORU’s founder, Oral Roberts.  Even some of the faculty members snickered along with the students.  I was trying to secure scholarships and grants, so I wrote letters for more financial assistance.  They were not quick to send back information, knowing that I had some physical disabilities. These are limitations in most people’s lives.  In my eyes, these are only challenges to be overcome.  The administrators at ORU were concerned about how I could facilitate living in a dorm and getting to class each day successfully.

God was then, is now, and ever will be faithful.  The Lord provided students I trained to meet my personal needs—assistance with eating, grooming, transfers, etc.  The university provided students to transcribe my papers and assist me with taking notes on my reading assignments.  I lived successfully in the dorm for eight years while earning two degrees.  The fact that I made it through college is evidence of God’s Will prevailing against all odds. At the end of my undergraduate studies, I received the first ever “Overcomer’s Award” which was given to the student at Oral Roberts University who excelled under seemingly unsurmountable challenges.  In addition to the inherent difficulties of attending classes in a power chair, I suffered from walking pneumonia that last semester.

When naysayers try to discourage me, I rejoice in knowing that my God will enable me to fulfill the calling He gave me.  John 16:33 says, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace.  In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”  You, too, can be an overcomer as you trust Jesus to be your enablement.

No comments: