Wednesday, February 7, 2018

LUKE 5:18-20 EXTRAORDINARY EVENTS


Extraordinary Events

by The Roving Reporter

Capernaum, Galilee – Yesterday as soon as the Sabbath ended, I attended a meeting in a house in the town of Capernaum by the Sea of Galilee. I had traveled there with the hope of seeing Jesus of Nazareth whose fame as a teacher and healer has been spreading like wildfire. Many others had the same idea, including dignitaries from as far away as Jerusalem—Pharisees and teachers of the Law. Jesus healed many people of various diseases and spoke about the Kingdom of God.

Suddenly, dust came down on our heads, and we shielded our eyes as we looked up to see a hole appearing in the roof! Some men lowered a man right between the roof beams, landing him directly in front of Jesus. I later learned they had resorted to this plan because the crowd was too dense to bring him in through the door, but they were convinced that this Jesus could heal their friend who suffered from a paralyzing palsy. I will now share my exclusive interview with that man.

Roving Reporter: What was your reaction when your friends hatched the idea of lowering you through the roof to get to Jesus?

Paralyzed Man: I was terrified! They were planning on wrapping ropes around my mat and dangling me in the air! I could fall and have worse problems than I already have. It takes a great deal of trust to allow them to carry me in the first place, let alone, suspend me from heights!

RR: What convinced you to let them do it?

PM: I had faith in the man of miracles, Jesus, because stories of Him had been repeated to me by people who had followed His exploits. My wonderful friends thought of me when they heard He was teaching in a house nearby. I was eager to throw off the limitations of my palsied earth-suit.

RR: What was it like, being lowered through the roof?

PM: Trepidatious, exhilarating, and uncomfortable. It placed me in an extremely vulnerable position with all eyes on me.  I don’t like people staring at my crippled earth-suit.

RR: What did Jesus say when you landed at His feet?

PM: I was expecting Jesus to address the issues with my earth-suit, transforming it into soundness. However, He praised our faith, and said, “Friend, your sins are forgiven you.”

RR: That must have been disappointing!

PM: Surprisingly, it was actually liberating. I recognized that a weight had been lifted off my soul that I had not fully realized I had been carrying. I knew I had been set free from my sin which was much more vital than my physical healing could ever be. My spirit and soul were made whole in that moment.

RR: Wow! That is some testimony. However, you are standing before me as able-bodied as I am, carrying a mat. Explain how that happened.

PM: Jesus addressed the Pharisees who had apparently been thinking He did not have the authority to forgive me. Jesus directed His attention toward them and said, “Why are you turning over such thoughts in your hearts? Which is easier to say? ‘Your sins are forgiven you’? or ‘Get up and walk’?  But look! I will prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.”

RR: Jesus had the nerve to call out the Pharisees and Scribes?!

PM: Yes, then Jesus fixed His gaze on me and commanded me, “I say to you: get up, pick up your mattress and go home!”

RR: What did you do?

PM: To my joyful amazement, I was totally empowered to do exactly what Jesus ordered me to do, with no difficulty at all and a feisty spring in my step!

RR: Unbelievable!

PM: But it is true. Even the Pharisees had to admit that I was healed.

RR: Thank you for stopping on your way home to share your good news with me and allowing me to record it for my readers.

PM: You’re welcome, sir. I plan on sharing my story with any and every one who will listen. I’m convinced Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah promised by the Prophets.

There you have it. Extraordinary events seem to happen wherever Jesus of Nazareth teaches. Follow this column for future reports concerning this self-named “Son of Man.”

No comments: