Wednesday, May 9, 2018

PSALM 119:36 - FOCUS ON THE WORD


Lord, your Spirit illumines your word as I read
And gives me the understanding I need.
You turn my attention from earthly things
And show me the joy obedience brings.
May your work in my life bring glory to you.
May others see you in all that I do.


       Think of some things you do wholeheartedly.  I sing wholeheartedly. I hug my children wholeheartedly. I probably eat cheesecake wholeheartedly.  But do I obey God’s law wholeheartedly, or is it sometimes obeyed begrudgingly?  Oh, that we might pray, “Give me understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.”
       In what do you find delight?  I find sunsets delightful, sunrises too.  In the laughter of children, I find delight, don’t you?  But do I find delight in following the path God has shown me in the Bible?  Oh, let us pray to find delight in God’s commands.
       Think of all the effort you put into getting more. More money, more fun, more prestige. The Lord told Joshua, “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.  Then you will be prosperous and successful.” (Joshua 1:8) True prosperity, true contentment is found in the center of God’s will; and God’s will is found in his word. Oh, let us meditate on God’s word and let him turn our hearts from selfish desires.
       How many worthless things do you do in a day?  I play computer solitaire. I watch TV. Sometimes I simply daydream.  Yet, I find myself claiming I don’t have time to study God’s word. I spend time on meaningless pursuits rather than investing time in that which is able to preserve my life.  Oh, Lord, I pray that you would help me use my time more wisely by seeking you through prayer and the study of scripture.
       Define “fear of the Lord”.  Reverence? Respect? Awe?  Proverbs 9:10 tell us, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”  When we see God fulfill his word, it should inspire fear as it demonstrates that he is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-wise.  Who can stand in the presence of such might?  Oh, Lord, let us see promises fulfilled that we might fear you and be much more grateful for your grace and love.
       Do you ever feel ashamed, disgraced?  I’ve never felt that way when I was doing what I knew to be right.  Those feelings only assault me when I’ve strayed from God’s laws.  Obedience brings freedom. Oh, may we remember the words of Jesus, “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.” (John 8:32)
       Lord, help us to “long for your precepts”.  Let us crave your Word.  Then give us the wisdom to obey what we’ve learned from you.  May the evidence of your work in our lives cause others to have reverence for you. Thank you for the opportunity to know you more through your Holy scripture.
       

No comments: