Wednesday, May 16, 2018

PSALM 119:43 GOD'S WORD IN MY MOUTH

I hope in your laws and trust in your word
And strive to learn what I’ve read and I’ve heard.
Lord, place your words in my memory.
Then when I need them, they’ll flow from me.
I’ll speak boldly about you like Peter and John,
For it is the strength of your word I stand on.
Your love letter, the Bible, may I always treasure.
I ponder your truth, and it brings me pleasure.


“May your unfailing love come to me, O Lord,
 your salvation according to your promise;
then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word.
Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth,
for I have put my hope in your laws.
I will always obey your law, for ever and ever.
I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.
I will speak of your statutes before kings
and will not be put to shame,
for I delight in your commands because I love them.
I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
 and I meditate on your decrees.”
Psalm 119:41-48 (NIV)

God’s Word in My Mouth

            Many words come out of my mouth.  My friends say they love to hear my stories.  My critics tell me I take to long to make a point, that there’s got to be a shorter way of saying whatever it is I’m saying. I’m sure there is.  I’m not prone to using foul language since I was raised in a home where bad words were never heard.  However, I have been guilty of using words to hurt rather than heal, to tear down instead of build up.
        The Psalmist gives some good uses for words, God’s words.  Through trust in God’s word, he could answer taunts. Being able to stand up to hurtful words without sinning with my own mouth is a difficult thing.  Having God’s word stored up can help me to be confident in the security of God’s love.  I can let one who taunts me know that I am a child of the King of kings…and that he can become one.
        The word of truth needs to be in my mouth both in the sense of being honest and in sharing the truth of God’s love. May God keep me “prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks me to give the reason for the hope that I have.” (I Peter 3:15b) I pray I will remember the scripture I have memorized and be able to share it with others at all times.
        I’ve not had the opportunity to talk about the Bible before kings, but who can say that God may not place me in that situation someday.  When Christ sent out his disciples he assured them that God would give them the words to speak when they were brought before rulers.  Look up Stephen’s speech before the Sanhedrin (Acts 7) or Paul’s defense before King Agrippa (Acts 26). God gave them the words to speak.
        Let us be determined to find time to study and memorize God’s word.  Then he will empower us to speak it whether it’s with someone seeking him, to someone persecuting us, or maybe even before a president or a king. 

No comments: