Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Song

New Year’s Song – My Grandmother died in October 1985. I wrote this to sing at our singles’ New Year’s Eve party. I just wanted to be sure no one went away without understanding the brevity of life here and the importance of trusting Christ and leading others to trust him.


If this were to be my final night upon the earth,
I know that I’d have confidence that I’ve received new birth.
I know that I would be with You, Lord,
the moment that I died;
and yet to think that I could die tonight
my eyes fill up and cry...
Because there’s so much here to do.
I have some friends and family who still do not know You.
And even though I say with Paul. "for me to die is gain;"
for then I’d be with Jesus Christ, and I would have no pain;
I must also say with Paul, "for me to live is Christ."
So if I’m given one more day please let me live my life
in praise to You, dear Lord,
telling others what You do through Your word
making sure that all my friends have heard
bearing witness to the world about Your love.

If this were to be Your final night upon the earth,
would you have the confidence that you’ve received new birth?
Do you know you’d go to heaven if you died tonight?
If not, I pray you’ll open up your heart to Jesus Christ...
Because there’s so much love right here.
You could have a brand new life to start a brand new year.
There are people here who’d love to show you how to start.
Just come to one of us if God is speaking to you heart.
Then we will show you in His word how you can know him too.
Believe me when I tell you it’s the best thing you can do
to give your life to Christ, to allow Him to come in
and change your life so that you can know for sure tonight
that you will see heaven’s light because of love.

If this were to be your final night upon the earth,
do you have the confidence that you’ve received new birth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. :)

How are you faring after surgery?

Roger had cataract surgery on Dec 23 - he got a crystal lens. yea! He'll have the other eye done on Jan 5.

I've been sick for the past 2 weeks. It's been a strange holiday season!