Monday, September 19, 2016

STRANGERS STAND OUT IN A CROWD

“Dear friends, I urge you, 
as aliens and strangers in the world, 
to abstain from sinful desires, 
which war against your soul. 
Live such good lives among the pagans that, 
through they accuse you of doing wrong, 
they may see your good deeds 
and glorify God on the day he visits us.”
1 Peter 2:11-12

parŏikŏs3941 – having a home near, i.e. (as noun) a by-dweller (alien resident): - foreigner, sojourn, stranger.

ĕrgŏn2041 – toil (as an effort or occupation); by impl. an act: - deed, doing, labour, work.

            The church I’m a member of is seeking a time of renewal. The focus is not on a super-charged meeting to bring in crowds, or a building program to enlarge the sanctuary, or an event to raise more dollars for ministry. All those things are good, but our elders have asked us to seek what is most important – knowing God on a deeper level as individuals as well as corporately. They’ve asked us to spend time in prayer, alone and with groups, asking God to show us the areas we need to change – to repent, to return, to grow – spiritually.  I believe as individuals seek the Lord in a more focused manner, all those other things we as a church body need to do will follow. As we are led by the Spirit of the Almighty God to live what we believe daily in the workplace, at home, and even in the grocery store, we will see people desire to know God because of what they see in us. As their numbers increase, God will show us when and what to build and hearts will be opened to contribute financially to His work. But it must begin with my own heart being cleansed, renewed, and empowered to live a life that brings glory to God.
           

Father, you’ve shown me some things that need to change in my life. Enable me to turn each day, each word, each thought over to your lordship that you may use me to help others see your grace. Remove my fear of witnessing one on one. Replace fear with boldness for your Kingdom. Thank you for grace to cover my sin and allow me to live victoriously here and now.

No comments: