Wednesday, September 21, 2016

FOLLOWING IN HIS STEPS

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters 
with all respect,
not only to those who are good and considerate, 
but also to those who are harsh.
For it is commendable if a man bears up 
under the pain of unjust suffering
because he is conscious of God.
But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating 
for doing wrong and endure it?
But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, 
this is commendable before God.
To this you were called, 
because Christ suffered for you, 
leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.”
1 Peter 2:18-21

skŏliŏs4646 – warped, i.e. winding; fig. perverse – crooked, forward, untoward.

ĕpakŏlŏutĕō1872 – to accompany: - follow (after).

            Some days we may think we have a harsh or even warped boss, but most Americans have no clue what suffering is. In many countries, slavery or work situations comparable to slavery still exist. A person’s master may be completely perverse, but he must be obeyed.
            There are countries where Christians are outcasts, not allowed to hold a job, or persecuted to the point of physical harm or even death. When I read of my brothers and sisters in India, Sudan, or Tajikistan being beaten or hacked with machetes, I realize that I have never suffered persecution. I need to remember to pray for them daily as though their bonds were my own (Hebrews 13:3).
           
Father, if you call upon me to suffer because of my faith, I know you will give me the grace to do so. Help me to be prepared to follow you by studying and memorizing your word.

No comments: