Tuesday, October 4, 2016

FITNESS TRAINING


Poem by Susie Hale
I Corinthians 9:24-25 – May 20, 1983

Every runner who strives to win
puts himself into training.
He eats the right foods, 
sleeps when he should,
and works out with muscles complaining.
If he does all this for a temporal prize,
then how much more should I strive
to eat daily God’s word, 
rest in the Lord,
and exercise faith to change lives?

“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone 
who asks you to give the reason
for the hope that you have. 
But do this with gentleness and respect,
keeping a clear conscience, 
so that those who speak maliciously
against your good behavior in Christ 
may be ashamed of their slander.”
1 Peter 3:15-16


hĕtŏimŏs2092 – (fitness); adjusted, i.e. ready: - prepared, (made) ready (-iness, to our hand).

             When I first wrote this, the 2008 summer Olympics were ready to begin in China. Now in 2016, we just watched the summer Olympics in Rio. Athletes train for years to be in tip top shape for their events. I found it interesting that one synonym for the Greek word translated prepared was fitness. The only way to be mentally and spiritually fit for witnessing is to spend time training in the word of God and practice trusting him at all times for all things.

            Father, help me to be faithful to my spiritual fitness program as well as my physical fitness routine. May I always be prepared to share your gospel with those willing to listen.




No comments: