Wednesday, February 22, 2017

COLOSSIANS 1:15-17 - THE IMAGE OF THE INVISIBLE GOD

The Image of the Invisible God

“What does God look like?” I heard a child ask;
And I thought to myself what a wonderful task.
Let’s open the Bible, God’s own book.
Let’s read his word and take a look.
We can’t describe his face or hair,
But we’ll find a description of his character there.
Jesus was God that people could see,
And the Gospels describe him for you and me.

“He is the image of the invisible God, 
the firstborn over all creation.
For by him all things were created: 
things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible,
whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; 
all things were created by him and for him.
He is before all things, 
and in him all things hold together.”
Colossians 1:15-17

ĕikōn1504 – a likeness, i.e. (lit.) statue, profile, or (fig.) representation, resemblance: - image.

sunistēmi4921 – to set together, i.e. (by impl.) to introduce (favorably), or (fig.) to exhibit; intrans. to stand near, or (fig.) to constitute: - approve, commend, consist, make, stand (with).

            When I moved up from teaching second graders to teaching fifth and sixth graders, I decided the zoo theme with stuffed animals would have to go. But what could I use to decorate our room that would have a meaningful theme? It was staring me right in the face – the paperclip! Our verse for the year was Colossians 1:17, and the paperclip became our reminder that Christ holds it all together.
            The paperclip has a plain and simple appearance, and yet it is an extremely useful tool.  The Bible tells us that Jesus “had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him” (Isaiah 53:2), but it also tells us he is “the Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being” (Hebrews 1:3). In other words, just like the lowly paperclip, there is much more to Christ than his outward appearance when he walked the earth. He is the creator and sustainer of the universe.
            If Jesus keeps the entire universe on course, surely I can trust him to hold me together as well. There are days I think I might fall apart (today being one of them), but I simply need to slow down, breathe deeply, and pray. I need to “cast all my anxiety on him because he cares for me” (I Peter 5:7) because when I do so, he promises that his peace will guard my heart and mind (Philippians 4:7).
            Father, I hand over my concerns to you. There are so many stresses in my life right now – my son is in Iraq, my mother has health concerns, my work is endlessly piled up at my job – but I know you are able to keep all the pieces together even though I am not. Help me to slow down and allow your Spirit to guide me each day and minister to my heart. I trust that my Creator is also my Sustainer. Thank you for the power you provide to live for you each day.

No comments: