Tuesday, February 28, 2017

COLOSSIANS 1:28-29 - WORK WITH POWER


For what things do I work hard, 
to what end do I toil?
Do I throw away my energy 
on temporary things that spoil?
Paul labored unto weariness 
that men might walk with Christ,
And God empowered him mightily 
to lead a worthwhile life.
Lord help me use the gifts You’ve given 
to encourage and to teach.
Empower me to share Your word 
and many people to reach.

“Him we preach and proclaim, 
warning and admonishing every one
and instructing every one in all wisdom, 
[in comprehensive insight into the ways
and purposes of God], 
that we may present every person mature –
full-grown, fully initiated, complete and perfect – 
in Christ, the Anointed One.
For this I labor [unto weariness], 
striving with all the superhuman energy
which He so mightily enkindles 
and works within me.”
Colossians 1:28-29 (Amplified Version)

kŏpiaō2872 – to feel fatigue; by impl. to work hard: - (bestow) labour, toil, be wearied.

dunamis1411 – force (lit. or fig.); spec. miraculous power (usually by impl. A miracle itself):  - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed_, (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

            As I was reflecting on the verses above, I was reminded of a singles’ fellowship I attended years ago when I was in my twenties. A part of the evening was a photo scavenger hunt. I was assigned to lead a team of young men from a Central American country because I was the only person there who knew a little bit of Spanish.  The reason they were here was that they each needed surgery for war injuries. All of them were disabled. One was missing a foot, and we were supposed to drive and run around town taking pictures of specific landmarks and people.
            When we got in the car, the leader of the three young men pointed to the camera I handed him and asked, “¿Por qué?”  In a combination of Spanish and English I explained what we were doing.  His response was to shrug and say to his buddies, “Americans! Too much time on hands!” I had to agree as I began feeling very silly. This man was younger than me and was an officer in their rebel army. He had undergone incredible pain and loss to defend his home. He left behind a family terrorized by their own government’s military.
            We waste an incredible amount of time. Not that we shouldn’t do fun things, but the time we spend pursuing entertainment far outweighs the time we spend doing something of value to the God’s kingdom. I tried to “redeem the time” by sharing Christ with these young soldiers. On New Year’s Eve as these same men prayed with us, the officer prayed in Spanish. I translated his prayer for our group, “Our dear Father, I pray for peace for all the world and that my mother would not have to live in a hut in the mud any more. Thank You, Sir. Amen.”
            Lord, I thank you for the freedom I enjoy and ability to spend time at leisure. Help me to use my time wisely and pursue the lasting joy of leading others into a deeper relationship with you. Let my actions as well as my words be a testimony to your power to change lives. Grant me your mighty power to serve you more effectively.

No comments: