Wednesday, March 1, 2017

COLOSSIANS 2:3 - THE SECRET


In Christ are hidden all wisdom and knowledge,
insight into God’s purposes and ways;
yet he desires an intimate friendship with me
giving access to all this to me every day.
The secret to wisdom for living this life,
enlightenment for following God’s plan
is to develop the relationship the Lord freely offers
through his Son, the awesome God-man.

“In Him all the treasures of [divine] wisdom,
[of comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God],
and [all the riches of spiritual] knowledge and enlightenment are stored up and lie hidden.”
Colossians 2:3 (Amplified)

apŏkruphŏs614 – secret; by impl. treasured: - hid, kept secret.

            Paul labored diligently with the power of God in order that others could “know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2b-3 NIV). His chief desire was that those he wrote to would be encouraged and grow in their relationships with the Lord.
            I have the ability to tap into the Lord’s wisdom for living through Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with other believers. So do you. However, God doesn’t just pour all this wisdom and knowledge into our heads. All relationships take work, and our walk with Christ is no different. I cannot neglect time with the Lord and expect to grow closer to him and understand him better. I need to read his love letters to me over and over and savor every word. I need to talk to him and be still and listen to what he says to my heart. I need to meet with others who love him to gain from the knowledge they have.
            The treasures that are in Christ are not hidden in such a way that we cannot find them.  They are secrets that we have the joy of uncovering. They are truths that have been there all along, but we must grow closer to Jesus in order to “discover” them.
I knew my adopted children fairly well after watching them for weeks at a time when their father was overseas on business. However, our relationship reached a new level when they moved into my one bedroom apartment for a few months. We had the opportunity to know each other (the good, the bad, and the in-between) much more when we shared a home. We discovered new things about each other, and our love deepened because of it. We all had to adjust in order to have room for three people to eat, sleep, shower, etc.
The Holy Spirit wants to be at home in our hearts and reveal the secrets that are found only in an intimate relationship. In order for that to happen we have to do some house cleaning to make room for him. We need to confess our sin in order to be made clean.  We need to communicate with our “roommate” through prayer and Bible study. And we need to surround ourselves with other people who are trying to do the same things, i.e. fellow believers. Then we will be able to discern the wisdom and knowledge that lie hidden in Christ.
Father, help me focus on my relationship with Christ more than any other. Thank you for giving me access to all the wisdom and knowledge I need to live my life effectively for your glory.  Make me mindful of my need to tap into that which you have so abundantly supplied. Help me to be faithful to Bible study, prayer and fellowship.

No comments: