Monday, March 6, 2017

COLOSSIANS 2:9-10 - FULLNESS


Christ is completely God, yet he is completely man.
This truth is something difficult for us to understand.
His grace gives me ability simply to believe
the things the Word says are true, and his Spirit to receive.
His Spirit fills me up completely and opens up my mind.
He helps me see the many things to which I had been blind.
He takes away anxiety, replacing it with peace.
Instead of aching emptiness, in Christ I am complete.

“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity 
lives in bodily form,
and you have been given fullness in Christ, 
who is the head over every power and authority.”
Colossians 2:9-10 (NIV)

plērōma4138 – repletion or completion, i.e. (subj.) what fills (as contents, supplement, copiousness, multitude), or (obj.) what is filled (as container, performance, period): - which is put in to fill up, piece that filled up, fulfilling, full, fullness.

plērŏō4137 – to make replete, i.e. (lit.) to cram (a net), level up (a hollow), or (fig) to furnish (or imbue, diffuse, influence), satisfy, execute (an office), finish (a period or task), verify ( or coincide with a prediction), etc: - accomplish, X after, (be) complete, end, expire, fill (up), fulfill, (be, make) full (come), fully preach, perfect, supply.

            It is difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that Christ was both completely God and completely man. How could he be all-knowing and not annihilate Judas before he betrayed him or even choose him in the first place? How could he allow himself to feel hunger, thirst, and pain when he had all the power of the universe at his fingertips?  I can never explain all the hows in the life of our Lord, but his word tells me why. He did it all for us. Philippians 2 paints an awesome picture of our Lord choosing to work within the limited power of being a man, so that we might know him and be saved by him. He deliberately chose not to use the power of God still contained within him in order to sacrifice himself for me.
            But an even more difficult concept to understand is the fullness of the Lord coming to live in me. His Holy Spirit makes God’s power available to me. God’s desire is that I be filled to the brim with the Spirit through my relationship with Jesus. God wants to work in and through me! Christ is completely God, and he wants me to be completely given over to his control. He has supplied all that I need – emotionally, spiritually, and physically – to serve him. I just need to live in this truth and act boldly in what God calls me to do.
            Father, help me to be more aware of your Holy Spirit’s presence and yield more completely to your control. Help me to remember that there is nothing lacking in my life because you are supplying what I need to follow you. Thank you for completeness and fullness in Christ.

No comments: