Friday, March 17, 2017

COLOSSIANS 3:23 - WORK AS UNTO THE LORD



Do your work 
as unto the Lord,
for it is truly He who gives 
the ultimate reward.
Your boss may be difficult, 
rarely praising your work.
Do not use that as an excuse 
your duties to shirk.
For in all that you do, 
it is Christ that you serve.
Don’t let Satan trick you 
by throwing the curve,
“Your unreasonable supervisor 
isn’t looking today,
so you can take 
some time off to play.”
Remember your true Lord 
sees all that you do,
so work heartily, 
and be faithful and true.

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything;
and do it, not only when their eye is on you 
and to win their favor,
but with sincerity of heart 
and reverence for the Lord.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, 
as working for the Lord, not for men, 
since you know that you will receive an inheritance 
from the Lord as a reward.
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, 
and there is no favoritism.
Masters, provide your slaves 
with what is right and fair,
Because you know that you also 
have a Master in heaven.”
Colossians 3:22-4:1(NIV)

klērŏnŏmia2817 – heirship, i.e. (concr.) a patrimony or (gen.) a possession: - inheritance.

patrimony – 1. inheritance from a father (Encarta Dictionary)

            As I read this passage, my thoughts turned to my son who is currently (2007) a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. How does this apply to him and the soldiers serving under him in Iraq? So, I emailed and asked him to respond to the passage as related to his current situation.

Mom,

Not much time to talk but here's my lowdown. Especially since I received little to no praise from my old boss I have had to find different motivations for working hard. First there is a simple joy in getting into bed exhausted from the day. You know that you laid everything out and could give nothing more. Second, that Bible verse has rung in my ears for years. To know that if I slacked off would continue the lie that religious people are lazy. In short, my work ethic is a reflection of Christ. Third, you work for the welfare of other people. You are not there to just support your family. The decisions you make everyday affect the lives of your soldiers and peers. These different perspectives are my primary motivating factor for working. Oh yeah, I just got my yearly review. Still in the top three LTs out of 32, hooya. LOVE YOU

Thomas


Father, I continue to pray for revival among Thomas’ men that would spread to their families. I thank you for the young wife of one soldier who recently gave her life to you. Let Thomas’ work ethic be a positive witness to his men and his superiors. Thank you for giving me children in the unique way that you did. Thank you for the inheritance you promise those who serve you. Help me to do my work with all my heart, serving you and not men.

Postscript:  Thomas was promoted to captain before the end of his military service. He is now a civilian. 

No comments: