Monday, March 20, 2017

COLOSSIANS 4:2 - BE VIGILENT IN PRAYER


Lord, help me to be diligent,
devoted to prayer and vigilant
for opportunities to intercede
for brothers and sisters in need.

I approach you with thanksgiving
for the strength for daily living.
I pray for those who work to share your word
with people who have never heard.

“Devote yourselves to prayer, 
being watchful and thankful.
And pray for us, too, 
that God may open a door for our message,
so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, 
for which I am in chains.
Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, 
as I should.”
Colossians 4:2-4 (NIV)

grēgŏrĕuō1127 – to keep awake, i.e. watch (lit. or fig.): - be vigilant, wake, (be) watch (-ful).

            (Originally written in 2007 while my son was deployed in Iraq) We need to be alert for opportunities to pray. In 1 Thessalonians chapter five, we are told to “pray without ceasing”.  This passage tells us to be watchful or vigilant. I have put both of these concepts into practice much more faithfully since my son is serving in Iraq. I also had an interesting prayer experience recently.
            As I mentioned a few pages back, I count laps in the pool using Bible verses. I was on lap 16 and reciting, “Hitherto, have you asked nothing in my name, ask and you shall receive that your joy may be full” (John 16:24) in my mind. As I meditated on this verse, I prayed, “Lord, what am I to ask for?”
            His answer came into my mind immediately, as clear as a bell, “Pray for revival among your son’s men and that they would be a witness to the Iraqis they deal with.” I related this impression from the Lord to Thomas and asked him if he thought it was weird. He answered, “No, it is not. Keep praying, Mom.”
            So I have been diligently praying for a revival among the soldiers in my son’s company. I shared this request with my Sunday school class, and my teacher prayed not only for revival among the soldiers but that it would spread back home to their families and beyond. I’ve shared the request with others who are also praying. I’ve since realized I need to pray for my son’s chaplain to be able to minister to men who may be returning to their faith or giving their lives to Christ for the first time.
            I share all this to say watch for times to pray. You can pray while driving, exercising, eating. Be thankful for the opportunity to take all concerns, large and small, to the almighty heavenly Father. Be vigilant and alert to notice people and situations that require prayer. Then be faithful to pray for them. I believe you will be mightily blessed as you see the answers that could come only from God.
            Father, I thank you for the privilege of prayer. I pray for those who will read this book that you would reveal yourself to them through answered prayer. Help them find the joy of interceding for others. Help me to be watchful and thankful in prayer.

No comments: