Sunday, March 26, 2017

PHILEMON 6-7 PRAYER FOR PHILEMON


I take stock of the benefits I have 
in my Lord, Jesus Christ
as I share my faith with people 
and explain this blessed, new life.
I pray I’ll also refresh the hearts 
of my Christian sisters and brothers…
instead of thinking of myself, 
working to encourage others.

“I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith,
so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.
Your love has given me great joy and encouragement,
because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.”
Philemon 6&7 (NIV)

agathŏs18 – a prim. word; “good” (in any sense, often as a noun): = benefit, good (-s, things), well.

anapauō373 – (reflex.) to repose (lit. or fig. [be exempt],remain): by impl. to refresh: - take ease, refresh, (give, take) rest.

            I believe Paul prayed for Philemon to be active in sharing his faith because he knew Philemon, as well as his listeners, would benefit. A vital part of sharing Christ with others is sharing your personal testimony. As you reflect on what Jesus has done for you…salvation from sin and death, freedom from a destructive lifestyle, answers to prayer…your own understanding and appreciation of your relationship with the Lord increases. Once again, Paul gives us an excellent way to pray for family, friends, and all brothers and sisters in Christ.
            This afternoon I saw the parents of two of my former students. It was so nice to chat and to find out what the boys are doing now that they are out of high school. It was good to hear that this couple is still active in the local church and walking with the Lord. Then as I sat down to write this evening I was reminded to pray for them in this way. I was also reminded to thank the Lord for the way they refreshed my heart both at the time I taught their sons and today.
            Take a moment to thank the Lord for those individuals who have encouraged you in your walk with Christ. Pray that they will continue to be active in sharing their faith and refreshing the saints. If possible, write them a note of appreciation and let them know you have prayed for them. If you must, email the note; but I still believe there is something powerful in the handwritten note sent through the mail. It’s worth the time to encourage the body of Christ.
            Father, help me as I endeavor to write more of those notes…not just right now since you’ve spoken to me through your word, but frequently. Lord, I do thank you for the many people you’ve used to help me in my walk with you. Help me to find some of the ones I’ve lost touch with over the years and send them a note. 

No comments: