Tuesday, March 28, 2017

PHILEMON 8-11 - USEFUL



Onesimus was useless 
as a runaway slave,
but he became useful 
when his life to Christ he gave.
Paul pled his case 
with the master he had fled,
for he was now a son in the faith 
for whom the Lord had bled.
And as a brother in the Lord 
he lived up to his name.
Onesimus means useful, 
and that’s what he became.
Jesus changed his heart 
through the message that he heard,
and Paul became his father 
through the sharing of God’s word.

“Therefore, although in Christ 
I could be bold and order you 
to do what you ought to do,
yet I appeal to you on the basis of love.
I then, as Paul – an old man 
and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus –
I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, 
who became my son while I was in chains.
Formerly he was useless to you, 
but now he has become useful 
both to you and to me.”
Philemon 8-11 (NIV)

parakalĕō3870 – to call near, i.e. invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation, or consolation): - beseech, call for, (be of good) comfort, desire, (give) exhort (-ation), entreat, pray.

ĕuchrēstŏs2173 – easily used, i.e. useful: - profitable, meet for use.

            Onesimus means useful, but he had become everything but useful or profitable to his master, Philemon. He had run away, possibly taking some goods with him. In God’s grace, he ran to Paul who was being held prisoner in Rome. Paul refers to him as becoming his son which means that Paul led him to the Lord and/or discipled him. The relationship Onesimus had found in Christ would make him profitable once more.
            Like the prodigal son or the runaway slave, Onesimus, we often run from the Lord. Those who have not yet given their lives to Christ may view God as a stern master and flee from the legalism they often associate with the Christian religion. Like Paul, we need to lead them into that relationship with Jesus that makes them our brother or sister or child to nurture in the love of our Father. Then we must trust the Holy Spirit to make them useful to the Lord and their fellow man. We need to support them in their efforts to live a life pleasing to the Lord.
            Sometimes those of us who know the Lord as Father still choose to walk away from the path on which he places us. It may seem to be too difficult or too much to bear. We need to encourage each other to stay the course and trust Christ to care for us as we cast our cares on him. In the first chapter of Zechariah the Lord says, “Return to me, and I will return to you.” When we catch ourselves running away, we need to return to our loving Master, repent of our sins, and allow him to cleanse us (1 John 1:9).

            Father, thank you for receiving me into your family and welcoming me back from those times that I have unwisely run from your guidance. Help me to allow your Holy Spirit to make me useful to you, to mold me into the image of Christ. 

No comments: