Saturday, March 11, 2017

COLOSSIANS 3:1-4 - SAVOR THE SAVIOR


Savor the Savior

Does my mind spend more time on my earthly cares,
What I should eat, what clothes I should wear,
Than it spends dwelling on Kingdom goals,
A life hidden in Christ, a life made whole?
Lord, help me to dwell on things that last
Instead of those things that will soon be past.
Help me set my affection on things above.
Let your desire be mine, to spread your love.

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, 
set your hearts on things above,
where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 
Set your mind on things above,
not on earthly things. For you died, 
and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is your life, appears, 
then you also will appear with him in glory.”
Colossians 3:1-4 (NIV)

phrŏnĕō5426 – to exercise the mind, i.e. entertain or have a sentiment or opinion; by impl. to be (mentally) disposed (more or less earnestly in a certain direction); intens, to interest oneself in (with concern or obedience): - set the affection on, (be) care (-ful), (be like-, + be of one, + be of the same, +let this) mind (-ed), regard, savour, think.

            You may have heard the expression, “He’s so heavenly minded, he’s no earthly good.”  However, that usually is not the case.  If we were more concerned with heavenly goals, we would be doing more good on earth. We would be witnessing more fervently, serving others more joyfully, and acting Christ-like more consistently.
            The full definition above talks about exercising the mind. It is a spiritual discipline or exercise to think about the Lord, his word, and his will rather than dwelling on the day to day problems. I know. I allow myself to get bogged down with the problems of my job at times. It takes an effort on my part to get my mind off work and study the word in order to get it back on heavenly things.
            The word interpreted “set your mind” also implies that this interest in things of the Lord will lead to obedience. It’s not enough to hope for heaven. We must be obedient to bring others with us, and to serve the Lord with gladness while still on earth. Fixing my affections on Christ will lead to the like-mindedness we read about in Philippians chapter two.
            I think my favorite word in the Strong’s definition above is savour. That’s why I call this page Savor the Savior. We need to take delight in the promises of God. We need to “taste and see that the Lord is good” (Psalm 34:8). We need to value and relish the things above.
Listed in the synonyms for savior is “knight in shining armor.” Christ is that to us and more. He is our bridegroom, and we need to be as excited as a bride preparing for her wedding day. We need to look forward to that day expectantly.
Father, help me to keep my focus on your will and your ways. Help me to remember that everything here on earth is temporary and what really matters is my relationship with Christ. Help me to savor your word as a bountiful banquet.

No comments: