Sunday, March 12, 2017

COLOSSIANS 3:10 - EXTREME MAKEOVER - JESUS EDITION



Extreme Makeover – Jesus Edition

There are many things in my life 
that had to be destroyed,
when Christ came in 
to begin my renovation.
He forgave me 
and saved me instantaneously,
but my renewal 
takes daily dedication.
It’s an extreme makeover 
to take my ill-used life
and restore it to the image 
of its Creator;
but as I rid myself of the old things 
and yield complete control,
I’ll be renewed in heart and mind 
by my Savior.

Put to death, therefore, 
whatever belongs to your earthly nature:
sexual immorality, impurity, lust, 
evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry…
But now you must rid yourselves 
of all such things as these:
anger, rage, malice, slander, 
and filthy language from your lips.
Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off 
your old self with its practices
and have put on the new self, 
which is being renewed in knowledge 
in the image of its Creator.”
Colossians 3:5, 7-10 (NIV)

nĕkrŏō3499 – to deaden, i.e. (fig.) to subdue: - be dead, mortify.

anakainŏō341 – to renovate: - renew.

ĕikōn1504 – a likeness, i.e. (lit.) stature, profile, or (fig.) representation, resemblance: - image.

            I love to watch “Extreme Makeover – Home Edition”. It’s upbeat, encouraging, and interesting. The design team often has to completely demolish the old house in order to build a firmer and larger foundation for the picture they have in mind. They design a home for the specific needs of the particular family they are helping that week – handicap access, super filters, larger kitchens – whatever would make life better for them.
            Our Lord wants to restore us to our created state – that is in the image of the Creator. In order to do that he sometimes has to tear down many old, unstable walls in our lives. We help in this process by daily yielding our members to his control and consciously allowing him to remove the bad to make room for the best. The design God has in mind for my life is specific to my needs and what he desires to accomplish through me. My part in the process is to be willing to put off that old self and put on Christ. This is done through praying, confessing, and yielding to the Holy Spirit as he speaks truth to my heart.
            The design team led by Ty Pennington does an excellent job of meeting a family’s special needs each week. The family is always amazed at how the house exceeds their wildest dreams. Our heavenly Father “is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us” (Ephesians 3:20). Now, that’s an extreme makeover!

            Father, I thank you that you are constantly renewing me and conforming me to the image of Christ Jesus. Please help me to remain as clay in your hands, allowing you to make me into exactly what you have designed me to be.

No comments: