Thursday, March 23, 2017

COLOSSIANS 4:12 - PRAYER WARRIOR


Prayer Warrior

Lord, may I be like Epaphras
and wrestle in prayer for others.
May I labor fervently in intercession
for my precious sisters and brothers.

“Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, 
sends greetings.
He is always wrestling in prayer for you,
that you may stand firm in all the will of God, 
mature and fully assured.”
Colossians 4:12 (NIV)

agōnizŏmai75 – to struggle, lit. (to compete for a prize), fig. (to contend with an adversary), or gen. (to endeavor to accomplish something): - fight, labor fervently, strive.

            I had always kind of wondered where we came up with the term “prayer warrior.” Perhaps it comes from this verse that speaks of one of Paul’s companions wrestling in prayer for his friends back home.
            The only way to contend with our adversary, the devil, is to turn him over to God. As we pray that fellow believers will stand firm in God’s will and be mature and assured in Christ, we are asking the Lord to defeat Satan in their lives. It is a battle because the enemy will do everything he can to distract you from prayer.  I know there have been brothers and sisters who have fought for me in prayer, and I am grateful to the Lord for placing them in my life.
            Paul has taught us much about prayer in the prison epistles, both by direct instruction and examples from his own and his close companions’ prayer lives. Perhaps Paul’s experience in prison was similar to my friend Debbie’s experience with illness. After many surgeries and long hospital stays someone told her she should just give up and die since she couldn’t do much anymore. Her response was that even lying in a hospital bed, she could pray for others; and maybe even had more time to pray for others; so she chose to believe that God still had a purpose for her on this earth. I know she fervently prayed that God would bless me with children and was delighted to hear how he answered her prayers.
            Intercessory prayer is a ministry, and it is hard work. Sometimes it involves allowing yourself to feel another’s pain. Many times, it’s hard to see exactly how God is answering, but we must keep praying and trusting that in his perfect timing and in his own way, he will answer. Struggle, agonize in prayer for those you love. Then, oh what delight there will be as you see God move in their lives!
            Father, help me to be faithful in intercession. When you awaken me with a concern for one of my family members or friends, help me to be alert to pray rather than resent the loss of sleep. Thank you for the many times you’ve given me the privilege of seeing you answer my prayers and those of other believers. Thank you for the example of Epaphras who wrestled in prayer that others might stand firm and be complete in Christ. Help me to do the same.

No comments: