Wednesday, May 3, 2017

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 - DON'T FLIRT WITH EVIL


Lord, help me recognize that which is good.
Help me to glorify you as I should.
Help me from evil to keep aloof.
Let my life be living proof
Of your grace.

“But test and prove all things 
[until you can recognize] what is good;
 [to that] hold fast.
Abstain from evil – 
shrink from it and keep aloof from it –
whatever form or whatever kind it may be.”
I Thessalonians 5:21-22 (Amplified)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 
Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
I Thessalonians 5:21-22 (KJV)

dŏkimazō1381 – to test (lit. or fig.); by impl. To approve: allow, discern, examine, x like,
(ap-)prove, try.

ĕidŏs1491 – a view, i.e. form (lit. or fig.): appearance, fashion, shape, sight.

            Mom would say, “It just looks bad.” And that meant that I shouldn’t wear certain styles or do certain activities.  If someone might think I was up to something wrong, that was enough.  That was her acid test. Even if kissing your boyfriend in public was socially acceptable in the 1970’s, the neighbors still might think there was more to the physical relationship than just that kiss. Avoid even the appearance of evil. Don’t even look like you’re going to do something wrong.
            We should have listened to our mothers.  I see my contemporaries flirting with evil.  It’s as if we are trying to get as close to the fire as possible without getting burned.  There are a lot of singed Christians these days. Did I examine the reviews of that R rated movie I was dying to see, or did I just go anyway? After all, I know I’d never do those things; so it doesn’t hurt to watch them, right? Did I discern whether that romance novel might awaken a desire for an unhealthy relationship? Do I care what my coworker thinks of the Lord when she sees me reading that novel or hears me talk about the latest racy show on TV? Do I shrink from and keep aloof from evil, or do I court it?
            Another question. Does anything burn within me when I consider participating in something many would call borderline?  Am I aware of the voice of the Holy Spirit in my life, or have I tuned him out? Is my relationship with Jesus such that I desire to please him above all else and trust that he always has my best interest at heart? Have I taken the time to meditate on his word in order to be able to discern what is good?
            Father, make me more aware of the Spirit’s nudge in my life.  Help me to discern what is best and abstain from those things that will not honor you.  I know that you desire to make me fit for your kingdom and to bring peace to my life.  Help me to trust your leading in making decisions about what activities I need to be a part of. Give me a burning desire to live above reproach, not out of duty, but from a pure love for you.

No comments: