Monday, May 8, 2017

1 THESSALONIANS 5:24 - GOD WILL DO IT


God Will Do It

Lord, I can’t possibly do all the things
I’ve recently read I should do.
I’m thankful you also gave me your word
That I can rest in you.
For you are the one working in me,
And I’ll be changed by your grace.
Help me to focus on being your child,
And seeking my Father’s face.

Faithful is He Who is calling you [to Himself], 
and utterly trustworthy,
and He will also do it [that is, fulfill His call 
by hallowing and keeping you].
I Thessalonians 5:24 (Amplified)

pistŏs4103 – obj. trustworthy; subj. trustful: - believe(-ing,-r), faithful (-ly), sure, true

pŏlĕō4160 – to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct): …bring forth, cause, exercise, fulfill, perform…(These are just a few of the synonyms listed)

                I know that I’m not perfect,
                    And I shall never be.
                             But Jesus Christ is perfect
                                     And has come to save me.

            I wrote the four line verse above when I was just a teenager. It’s still extremely true today.  Yes, I’ve grown in my walk with the Lord; but I’m thankful that God sees Christ’s righteousness when he looks at me because my own truly is “as filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6). Someone once told me that it was more important to be God’s child than to try to do God’s will. At the time I thought that doing all the things the Bible says I should do was how to be a good child. I was wrong.
            When I try to do good works and have good attitudes in my own strength, I eventually get frustrated and fail. When I focus my energy on being still and knowing God, he does his work in and through me, resulting in right thinking and better behavior. When I fail, I need to remember that God “is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (I John 1:9). With my own children, when they would fail to do what I had asked them to, I would give them an opportunity to try again. How much more does a loving God do that for me.
            God goes even farther than that. He promises to be faithful to do through us what he has called us to do. As I spend time with him, he reveals a direction I should go. Then he tells me that since he began that good work in me, he’ll finish it (Philippians 1:6).
            Thank you, Father, for giving me the power to live a life pleasing to you. I thank you that obeying your word is a desire you place within me as I get to know more of you rather than a condition for knowing you. Thank you for being faithful to fulfill your plan for me.

No comments: