Monday, April 16, 2018

LUKE 9:23-24 FOLLOW JESUS: The Way is Narrow and Hard, but the Burden is Light


FOLLOW JESUS
The Way is Narrow and Hard
But the Burden is Light
By Susie Hale

When I was a child, I remember singing “Jesus Loves Me” and “Jesus Loves the Little Children”, but I also grew up with songs like “Follow Me” by Ira Stanphill. You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN8UW_C_sgA. The following is the second verse:

“I work so hard for Jesus” I often boast and say,
“I’ve sacrificed a lot of things to walk the narrow way,
I gave up fame and fortune; I’m worth a lot to thee,”
And then I heard Him gently say to me,
“I left the throne of glory and counted it but loss,
My hands were nailed in anger upon a cruel cross,
But now we’ll make the journey
with your hand safe in mine,
So lift your cross and follow close to me.”

Today, I hear mostly music about all Jesus can do for us and preaching about the prosperity and health He wants us to have. Yes, following Jesus brings tremendous blessings; but it is not the easy road. In fact, the path we are to travel with Jesus is narrow, difficult, and sometimes exhausting:

Matthew 7:13-14 (CJB) Go in through the narrow gate; for the gate that leads to destruction is wide and the road broad, and many travel it; but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Jesus calls us to a life of “a peace that is beyond any and all of our human understanding” (Philippians 4:7 Voice). However, it is also a life of completely submitting my will to that of God the Father. Blessing is found in obedience. True fulfillment is found in knowing and applying the word of God found in the Bible:

Psalm 119:14 (CJB) I rejoice in the way of your instruction more than in any kind of wealth.

Surrender your life afresh and anew to the Lord’s will today. Take up your cross and follow Him with confidence in His promise found at Matthew 11:30, “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” How can the way be hard and light at the same time? Jesus is on the other side of the yoke carrying the bulk of the burden. 

No comments: