Wednesday, April 11, 2018

PSALM 119:1-3 WALK THIS WAY




Walking According to the Law of the Lord

Lord, teach me what it means to walk according to your law
That my way may be found blameless and my life be blessed.
Help me to seek you daily with all of my heart
Remaining steadfast and passing every test.
The things that I learn from your word may I obey;
May I praise you from an obedient heart and in your presence rest.


“Blessed are they whose ways are blameless,
who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are they who keep his statutes
and seek him with all their heart.
They do nothing wrong; they walk in his ways.
You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.
Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!
Then I would not be put to shame
when I consider all your commands.
I will praise you with an upright heart
as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.”
Psalm 119:1-8

Walk This Way

        How many times have you seen it…the guide (hotel clerk, detective, etc.) says, “Walk this way,” and the unsuspecting second character proceeds to imitate some idiotic walk.  We always laugh because, of course, we knew the guide meant “walk in this direction.”
        When the Bible tells us to walk in the way of the Lord or to walk in the Spirit, it means not only in the same direction but also in imitation of.  You may well ask, “How do we walk this way?”  Scripture tells us and the life of Christ demonstrates how to walk.
        Psalm 119 is the chapter I call “God’s Word on God’s Word” because almost every verse contains a synonym for Scripture.  It begins by saying that when we walk according to what we read in God’s word, we are blessed, happy.  Obedience to God’s decrees brings happiness; disobedience brings separation from the Lord. Thus, learning what God has instructed us to do and then doing it, is walking according to the law of the Lord. 
        The New Testament confirms this truth: “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it – he will be blessed in what he does” (James 1:22-25).  Studying the life of Christ in the Gospels and the lives of the disciples in Acts gives us a picture of how to walk.
        As you study God’s word be careful to do the things you learn.  Follow the instructions God gives you for living an upright life.  Pray that the Holy Spirit will empower you to obey and imitate the Lord. Remember to praise the Lord for the strength he gives and to thank him for the presence of his Holy Spirit in your life. Continually strive to “walk this way.”

No comments: