Monday, April 3, 2017

1 THESSALONIANS 1:3 - UNTIL YOU RETURN



Until You Return

I can endure the daily trials, Lord;
for I hope in Your return.
I know this world is a fleeting moment,
and my heart with longing yearns
to be home.

But I continue in the work, Lord,
produced by faith in You.
Prompted by Your love through me
I will serve others, too,
until You come.


“We continually remember before our God and Father 
your work produced by faith,
your labor prompted by love, and your endurance 
inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”
I Thessalonians 1:3 (NIV)

hŭpŏmŏnē5281 – cheerful (or hopeful) endurance, constancy: enduring, patience, patient continuance (waiting)

            How do you keep going when the going gets tough?  I know I could never do it in my strength alone, but I can “do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). I’ve been through many trials, great and small. Sometimes I think what seem to be the lesser trials may be the most difficult of all.
            No, it wasn’t easy to feel victorious during the two-year period when multiple tragedies assailed my family. We lost my dad to cancer, one cousin to cirrhosis of the liver, and another cousin to a brain tumor.  About fifteen close family friends also went home to be with the Lord, including my dad’s lifelong friend and the mother of the first boy I ever dated. My Uncle fell, suffered a brain hemorrhage, and was in a coma for weeks. Mother had shingles, the flu, and double pneumonia in a period of three months. There was nothing else that made sense in those situations except to pray constantly.
            However, during what I call every day trials, I tend to rely on my own energy and forget to focus on the Lord Jesus. Dealing with irate customers, training new employees, maintaining a large yard, and small health problems wear me down; but I forget to pray.  I find myself focusing on the problems of this world instead of hoping in the Kingdom of God.
Many necessary tasks are mundane…driving to and from work, pulling weeds, spreading fertilizer, cleaning house. I’ve discovered that I can use the time spent doing mindless chores to “fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.” I can recall memorized scripture. I can remember favorite Bible stories.  I can wonder what Heaven will be like and how it will feel to see Jesus face to face. The tasks are no longer mindless. Instead I am renewing my mind (Romans 12:2). Then the hope that I have in Jesus inspires me to endure.
            Lord, draw my thoughts to the promise that you are preparing a place for me in your Father’s house and help me to press on patiently until You come for me.


No comments: