Monday, April 17, 2017

1 THESSALONIANS 4:3, 7-8 - PURITY

Purity

Lord, I want to be pure
to honor you with my life.
Lord, help me to control my desire
until I am someone’s wife.
Lord, your love is greater
than any I’ll ever know.
Help me to honor that one true love
whatever I do and wherever I go.

“It is God’s will that you should be sanctified
that you should avoid sexual immorality
…For God did not call us to be impure, 
but to live a holy life.
Therefore, he who rejects this instruction 
does not reject man but God,
who gives you his Holy Spirit.”
I Thessalonians 4:3, 7-8 (NIV)

hagiasmŏs38 – purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concr. (by Hebr.) a purifier: - holiness, sanctification.

pŏrnĕia4202 – harlotry (include. adultery and incest); fig. idolatry: fornication

            Sexual imagery assails my senses numerous times each day. Billboards with scantily clad models touting the “good life” through alcohol or tobacco.  Fitness ads with the most muscular men and perfectly toned women you would ever hope to meet, and the promise that you can look just like them by working out three times a week.  Television shows and movies where singles meet, share dinner, and wake up in bed the next morning having shared the most incredible evening in their lives. Radio advertisements telling me I can join a singles’ organization, show up at a few meetings (meat markets), and mate for life. Everything in the world tries to tell me that if I’m not involved in a sexual relationship, I’m missing out on life.
            How am I to keep my life pure? The simple answer is “by keeping it according to God’s word” (Psalm 119:9). But what does that look like in practical, day to day living? First, I study what God’s word has to say about sex. It was intended to be within marriage only. Period. Paul says it is good to remain unmarried , “But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better marry than to burn with passion” (I Corinthians 7:9). Sexual immorality is a sin against my own body, as well as against Christ who uses my body as his temple (I Corinthians 6:18-20) Many times, as in the passage above, the Bible admonishes us to avoid sexual immorality.
            I’ve found the best way to avoid something is to not place myself in its path. If I am not alone with a man, it is much easier to resist the temptation to be too intimate with him. Adult singles should be as cautious about dating as teenagers. We should get to know each other in group settings and double dates. We should refrain from spending a great deal of time alone with someone until we are certain we are ready to marry. Even then, especially then, we should know our boundaries and abide within them.
            Lord, thank you for guarding my purity. I know that without your power, I would succumb to many temptations. Continue to live through me and sanctify me in preparation for the day that your church will be your bride.

No comments: