Wednesday, April 19, 2017

1 THESSALONIANS 4:9 - BROTHERLY LOVE

Brotherly Love

Characterized by brotherly love:
that’s how we should be known.
Christians should be people
who take care of their own.
Our kindness toward each other,
our help in time of need,
can touch the hearts of many lost
and plant a tiny seed.
For what our neighbors see in us,
and in our Christian friends,
should make them want to know the Lord
on whom we all depend.

“Now about brotherly love 
we do not need to write to you,
for you yourselves have been taught by God 
to love each other.”
I Thessalonians 4:9 (NIV)

philadĕlphia5360 – fraternal affection: brotherly love (kindness), love of the brethren

agapaō25 – to love (in a social or moral sense): (be-) love (-ed).

            “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:35)
“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.” (John 15:12-13)
“Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” (I John 3:18)
Over and over we are commanded to love our brothers and sisters in Christ.  We are told to love sacrificially and with actions rather than just words. In I John 4:7-8 we are even told that “love is of God” and those who do not love, do not know God.
There is no room for cliques and no allowance for loving only the lovely. We are commanded to love everyone who loves Christ and to show love to those outside the fold as well in order that our kindness might bring them to the Lord. Showing love involves sacrificing our time. We can show love by meeting a physical or financial need, listening to a troubled person, providing a ride to someone without transportation. We can show love by sitting in church with the person who seems to have no close friends. You may never know how your simple touch in someone’s life may affect many lives down the road. Find someone who needs love (they may even live in your house), and show it today.
Lord, help me to love the seemingly unlovable because I know you love them. Love through me when I don’t have the power to show love on my own.  Help me to see needs and meet them in your name. Thank you for loving me with the greatest love of all time and eternity.

No comments: