Saturday, February 27, 2016

CONFIDENCE IN CHRIST ALONE

I place my trust in Jesus Christ
and rely completely on him.
I count all my accomplishments as loss
lest I put confidence in them.

“For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God,
who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh.”
Philippians 3:3

pĕithō3982 – a prim. verb; to convince (by argument, true or false); by anal. to pacify or conciliate (by other fair means); reflex. or pass. to assent (to evidence or authority), to rely (by inward certainty): - agree, assure, believe, have confidence, be (wax) content, make friend, obey, persuade, trust, yield.

sarx4561 – prob. from the base of 4563; flesh (as stripped of the skin), i.e. (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extens.) the body (as opposed to the soul [or spirit], or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred), or (by impl.) the human nature (with its frailties [phys. or mor.} and passions), or (spec.) a human being (as such): - carnal (-ly, + -ily minded), flesh (-ly).

            You may remember the scene from The Sound of Music when Maria is on her way to her first meeting with Captain Von Trapp and his children. She’s swinging her guitar and singing about confidence. She concludes, “I have confidence in me.” Then, after a moment of hesitation, she musters up her courage, rings the doorbell, and mistakes the butler for Captain Von Trapp.
            Sometimes I try to pep talk my way into being more self-confident.  However, it would be far better to remember that I need to be Christ-confident. He is not only the sole source of my salvation, but he is also the supplier of my strength for each moment of each day. Any accomplishment the world would attribute to me must be an opportunity to give glory to Jesus. The power I need to live righteously must come from him.
            My flesh is weak, and I often fail to reach the mark. Praise the Lord I don’t need to be confident in my own strength. I must learn more and more to depend upon the power of the Holy Spirit within me and not to trust my own abilities. I must remember that it is God who “circumcises” my heart, who cuts out the rottenness and replaces it with his love. I am not able to give myself a makeover and be instantly like Christ. God works in me and causes me “to be conformed to the likeness of his Son” (Romans 8:29).

            Father, I put my trust in you daily because I know I cannot trust myself. Help me to remember that any ability I have is a gift from you and not a reason for pride. Help me to recall that nothing I have or can do measures up to your standard of righteousness. Thank you for the righteousness you have given me through faith in Jesus Christ. Remind me daily to put my confidence in Him alone. 

No comments: