Thursday, February 18, 2016

SOME FAVOR!

Lord, sometimes I fear
that persecution is near,
that you will not allow us
to continue in sin.
Lord, do what you must
to mature each of us.
Draw us closer to Jesus,
and complete us in Him.

“For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him,
but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had,
and now hear that I still have.”
Philippians 1:29-30

charizŏmai5483 – to grant as a favor, i.e. gratuitously, in kindness, pardon or rescue: - deliver, (frankly) forgive, (freely) give, grant.

paschō3958 – to experience a sensation or impression (usually painful): - feel, passion, suffer, vex.

            Some favor! That’s what I thought as I read this, especially in light of the full definition of the word translated “granted”. But then the Lord brought to mind James 1:2-4.

             Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many
             kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops
             perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be
             mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Paul had just finished telling the Philippians to have good conduct, stand firm, and fight for the faith together no matter what happened. He encouraged them not to be frightened by the opposition because they would be saved by God. Then he tells them they have been given the favor of suffering for Christ.
            The trials God allows in our lives can be faced with joy because we know he is maturing us to be like Christ (Romans 8:29), and the end result will be our glorification when he returns to take us to the place he has prepared for us (John 14:3). I know it is true in my life and have heard others testify that the greatest times of growing closer to God are the hard times.  I grew tremendously right after my husband left me. My pain and fear drove me back to church where I was nurtured and discipled by a fantastic group of singles. My years of longing for children and struggling to continue to trust God to give me the desires of my heart (Psalm 37:4) strengthened my relationship with him, especially as I had well-meaning people tell me I just needed to accept the fact that I would always be single and childless. Ministering to my father during his last days in the hospital brought me even closer to God.
            We have not faced the trial of persecution that Paul and his Philippian friends were all too familiar with, but I know people who have. It served to make them stronger in faith.  Beatings, imprisonment, and even being exiled from his homeland made one Romanian friend more resolved to share Christ than ever. My Ukranian friend and her family continued to proclaim Christ after he father was imprisoned. The persecuted church abroad has a great sense of what is truly important. It is difficult to learn those lessons in a land of plenty.

            Lord, I pray for a great awakening in America; but I feel it may only come after a time of persecution. Lord, strengthen your children for the trials you allow, and help us to face them with joy.

No comments: