Thursday, February 25, 2016

SHINE LIKE THE STARS

Without complaining, may I do all God asks.
May I cease from arguing and complete each task.
As I humbly serve, may the Lord’s work endure
As he changes my heart to make me blameless and pure.
May his spirit so fill me that I shine like a star
And draw others to him from near and afar.
May I hold out his life-giving word to the world
And share Christ with man, woman, boy, and girl.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation,
in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life…”
Philippians 2:14-16a (NIV)

akĕraiŏs185 – unmixed, i.e. (fig.) innocent: - harmless, simple.

phōstēr5458 – an illuminator. i.e. (concr.) a luminary, or (abstr.) brilliancy: - light.

            I am blessed to know a handful of people who seem to do everything without complaining or arguing. They delight to do the unseen, unrewarded, behind-the-scenes tasks at church. They usually aren’t found on the platform on Sunday, but they may be found repairing it or affixing extensions to it for the big production at Christmas or Easter. They may not teach a Sunday School class, but they make sure the chairs are in order and there’s plenty of cream and sugar for the coffee.
            These are not the people lauded as extremely “spiritual” by others; but without them, those in the public eye might crumble. I have found these friends to be pure and simple in the sense of leading uncomplicated lives. Their smiles have brightened my cloudy days as the stars illuminate the sky. Their willingness to do whatever God places in their path illustrates the word of God to everyone who comes in touch with them. They “preach” volumes without ever speaking publicly.
            In the workplace this person stands out as the one who tackles an extra task without trying to talk his way out of it or complaining about it all day long. He quietly continues working while his co-workers are spewing out everything that is wrong with the company, the boss, or other employees. He is careful to choose words that bless rather than curse; and if he does have a concern, he takes it with respect to the proper authority. This is a rare person, and he shines like a brilliant star. He has an excellent opportunity to witness to others as they note his “strange” behavior.
            The song on the next page is dedicated to three such people, but I believe most of us have these type of people in our lives. We are blessed to know them, and I firmly believe the Lord will say to them, “Well, done, my good and faithful servant” (Matthew 25:21, 23).

            Father, help me to complain less and serve more. Help me to stand out in a crowd as one of your lights. As the old song says, “Let others see Jesus in me.”

No comments: