Wednesday, February 24, 2016

WORK OUT WHAT GOD WORKS IN

Though saved by grace,
   we run the race
        out of gratitude
           and in servitude
               to him who died
                   and was crucified,
                       who arose and lives
                           this grace to give.

“…continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.”
Philippians 2:12b-13 (NIV)

katĕrgazŏmai2716 – to work fully, i.e. accomplish; by impl. to finish, fashion: -cause, do (deed), perform, work (out).

ĕnĕrgĕō1754 – to be active, efficient: - do, (be) effectual (fervernt), be mighty in, shew forth self, work (effectually in).

            “Whoa! Wait a minute! I thought my salvation was secured by Christ’s atonement for me on the cross. What is this ‘work it out’ stuff?”
            That’s where my mind went the first time I was introduced to this verse. I’ve also heard people try to interpret this that we somehow have to earn our salvation. FALSE! Look at the meaning of the two words for work. The first one, our part, is to keep on performing what God has called us to do. We are to finish the race, accomplish the task, give our all to serve the Lord. We are to behave daily according to what the Lord has revealed in his Word.
            But take note of the second word for work, God’s part. He is going to energize us for the tasks he asks us to accomplish. He will actively work in our lives. He will infuse us with the power we need to do his will. He will show forth himself in our lives that others may see his glory in the way we work out our salvation.
            What is getting me to heaven? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What enables me to live like I’m going to heaven?  The Lord being mighty in my life. I am to work out my salvation through the power of Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13). I can only perform as a Christian if I have already responded to God’s saving grace. I exhibit outwardly that which Jesus has already done inwardly.
            Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” The snares in my path, the work involved in living for Jesus, are nothing compared to the Holy Spirit he has placed within us.

Lord, help me to remember I can work out my salvation because you work in me. Empower me to run the race in a way that honors and pleases you.

No comments: