Tuesday, February 23, 2016

LIVING IN HUMILITY

Humility, servitude, obedience…
Lord, you epitomize all three.
I’m instructed to have the mind of Christ.
Lord, develop these attitudes in me.

“Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man,
 he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross!”
Philippians 2:6-8

tapĕinŏō5013 – to depress; fig, to humiliate (in condition or heart): abase, bring low, humble (self).

            Jesus was a part of the Trinity, the God-head, equal with God the Father. Yet he was willing to bring himself down to our level and become a man. The incarnation of the Son of God has been fascinating to me for many years. The fact that our Lord would confine himself to the body of an infant and suffer all the trials of growing up obedient to parents he had created amazes me each time I think of it.
            When I was only in first or second grade I was drawn to one particular song on a favorite Christmas album. Perhaps it was because it was in a foreign language or because the baritone’s voice was exceptional, but I would listen to it over and over even though I had no idea what it meant. A couple of years ago I looked up the translation of the lyrics by using the Latin dictionary at http://lysy2.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/WORDS.EXE.

Panis angelicus fit panis hominum,             Bread of angels became bread of man
Dat panis coelicus figures terminum,           Give Bread of heaven limited form.
O res mirabilis manducat Dominum,            Oh, astonishing fact! Devour the Lord.
Pauper, pauper, servus et humilis.              Poor man, servant and humble.

Or as Michael Card so aptly put it, “Manna became Man.” Christ took on limited form so I might come to know him and have salvation. With the humility that Christ demonstrated in his incarnation in mind, how then shall I live?

“Jesus called them together and said, ‘You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave – just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.’” Matthew 20:25-28


            Father, help me to lay aside my idea of what my life should be and follow wherever you lead. As a supervisor at work, let me remember to serve my employees as well as my boss. When called upon to lead in your work, help me to remember it is a call to be a servant. 

No comments: