Monday, August 8, 2016

CREATOR, SUSTAINER, SAVIOR by Susie Hale


Creator, Sustainer, Savior

Lord, you created everything on earth;
And it is you who sustains us from the moment of our birth
Until you take away our breath and return us to the dust from which you made us.

You provide the cattle, the plants, even the rain
That causes all the food we need to grow upon the plain.
You open your hand to satisfy us and to abundant life in Christ you bade us.

You sent your Spirit and created us anew,
Sent your Son to die so we’d have fellowship with you.
You are the Creator, Sustainer, and Savior of each one who trusts in Christ.

Your trees are well watered, and from my heart
Flow springs of living water that you wish me to impart
To others so that they may know how to experience salvation and have eternal life.


“He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate – bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, 
and bread that sustains his heart.
The trees of the Lord are well watered, 
the cedars of Lebanon that he planted.
There the birds make their nests; 
the stork has its home in the pine trees.”
Psalm 104:14-17 (NIV)

“These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time.
When you give it to them, they gather it up;
When you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.
When you hide your face, they are terrified;
When you take away their breath, they die and return to the dust.
When you send your Spirit, they are created,
And you renew the face of the earth.”
Psalm 104:27-30 (NIV)

            Look around you.  God made it all.  Watch plants grow and winds blow.  God keeps them going.  Breathe.  God gave you that breath.  Slow down long enough to appreciate how awesome the Lord really is.  He made us, sustains us, redeems us, and after all that work, still loves us! 
            I’m typing right now.  How many nerve impulses drive how many bones and muscles to move my fingers to precisely the correct keys to turn my thoughts into words on a computer screen right before my eyes?  It’s mind boggling to think that God sustains all life from the tiniest protozoa to the big, gray elephant and keeps my fingers from getting crossed up on the keyboard.  
As I read all of Psalm 104, the thought struck me that the almighty, all powerful, awesome Lord who did and does all the things in this scripture passage LISTENS to me! In fact, he longs for me to pray to him and fellowship with him.  He CARES about me individually.  He LOVES me with an everlasting love.  He does the same for you.
Thank him.  Praise him.  Say with the psalmist, “I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.  May my meditation be pleasing to him as I rejoice in the Lord.” (Psalm 104:33-34)


No comments: