Wednesday, August 31, 2016

SHIELDED

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade – 
kept in heaven for you,
who through faith are shielded by God’s power
until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed 
in the last time.”
1 Peter 1:3-5

aphthartŏs862 – undecaying (in essence or continuance)): - not (in-, un-) corruptible, immortal.

phrŏurĕō5432 – to be a watcher in advance, i.e. to mount guard as a sentinel (post spies at gates); fig. to hem in, protect: - keep (with a garrison).

            It is such a comfort in times of distress to remember that God’s power is available to me and protecting me. I believe this is an assurance that once I have come to Christ and surrendered my life to him, nothing can remove the security of salvation from me. Nothing “can separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:39b). My eternal life with Christ is a certainty because it does not depend on anything I can or cannot do. God is responsible for keeping me, and he is able to watch over me until I leave this earth to be with him whether by death or by being caught up in the clouds (I Thessalonians 4:17).
            I imagine myself as that tiny cluster of purple flowers above, surrounded by white clad angels sent by my loving Father to guard me. The angels and the Holy Spirit are invisible to my human eyes. But the angels surround me, and the Holy Spirit dwells within me to help me live successfully for the Lord in this life and to guide me ever toward my heavenly home.

            Father, thank you for this living hope you have given me through Christ’s death and resurrection. Thank you that salvation does not depend on my ability to serve you, but rather you saved me first and daily empower me to live for you. 


No comments: