Wednesday, August 10, 2016

OPEN MY EYES



Lord, through your Spirit open my eyes.
        Help me to learn from God the All-wise.
                Let me gaze with wonder at your perfect plan
                        Spelled out in your word, the redemption of man.
Deep in my soul, Lord, stoke the fire
        To make your Word my burning desire.
                Purify me and remove all the dross
                        So I can stand firm when it seems all is lost.
It is by your grace that I live and obey,
        Your law is my delight, for it shows me the way.
                I will keep your statutes by your power in me,
                        As you open my eyes and help me to see.

Photo Courtesy of Rob Zint

“Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word.
Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
I am a stranger on earth; do not hide your command from me.
My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
You rebuke the arrogant, who are cursed and who stray from your commands.
Remove from me scorn and contempt, for I keep your statutes.
Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.”
Psalm 119:17-24

            Do you ask God to open your eyes?  Before you begin reading scripture, ask God to help you understand what you read.  Ask him to help you obey what he shows you.  Ask him to help you apply the principles you find.  Ask him to fill you with a longing to know more of him.  All of these are things God wants for you, so I feel confident that he will answer your honest prayer about them.  Satan bombards us with excuses for not spending time in the word.  It is only by the power of the risen Lord within us that we can overcome that temptation to do other things rather than spend time in God’s word.  God assures us in I Corinthians 10:13 that he will provide us a way to escape temptation.  When you feel tempted to put other things ahead of spending time with the Lord, pray and ask him to help you escape.  When you have been blessed by a great time in the Word, remember to thank the Lord and to delight in his blessing.  When he opens your 

No comments: